Uncharted Series

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gentlegamer

Uncharted Series

Postby Gentlegamer » July 28th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Finally got around to playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita), and while it is no longer state of the art, still technically impressive for a handheld. The shooting was passable, but required using the aim assist feature to snap to targets out of cover, otherwise it would have been impossible for me to aim properly, even though you can adjust by moving the Vita itself (similar to BotW and the WiiU pad). It seems like a bunch of early iPhone minigames were shoehorned into the game; doing charcoal rubbings and reassembling torn documents is OK, there are two boss fights requiring QTE screen swipes that are infuriating. Overall, a decent experience, I'd give it 3/5 stars.

Finishing Golden Abyss made curious to replay the PS3 Uncharted trilogy via the Remastered PS4 collection (I played Uncharted 4 last year). Just finished Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves.

Uncharted 1 has been rebalanced so the enemies aren't bullet sponges on Normal. I wish Blue Point could have done something to make riding the jetski fun, an unpardonable sin in a video game.

Uncharted 2 is as good as I remember it, and still stands out as the best of the series (including Uncharted 4). This game is the gold standard for balancing the combat with scripted set-pieces to invoke a relentless action movie pace.

Uncharted 3 is naturally next, and we'll see how it holds up. I remember not liking it as well as 2 and about the same as 1 the first time I played it.

Playing and revisiting the Uncharted series has me on a 'summer action' kick, and I think I will do a deep dive on the Tomb Raider series next, starting with PS3 Tomb Raider Trilogy and then the second modern reboot, Tomb Raider [Rambo edition] and its sequels, which I've never played.

Atariboy

Re: Uncharted Series

Postby Atariboy » July 28th, 2019, 1:26 pm

What are your thoughts on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy?

That one and Golden Abyss are the two I've yet to play (I only own a PSTV and Golden Abyss requires a Vita handheld system, so I'm just crossing my fingers that it gets a console remaster one day).

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 28th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Atariboy wrote:What are your thoughts on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy?

That one and Golden Abyss are the two I've yet to play (I only own a PSTV and Golden Abyss requires a Vita handheld system, so I'm just crossing my fingers that it gets a console remaster one day).

I think there's a hack that makes GA playable on PSTV with a DS4 controller.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 29th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I was a late-comer to the Uncharted series. The first one I played was Uncharted 4, because it was bundled with my PS4. Loved it -- it was actually my favorite game that I played in 2017. Then in 2018, I was craving to play the series again, so I got the Uncharted Collection on PS4. I decided to play Uncharted 2, since it's almost always considered the best of the original trilogy.

After finishing both games, my vote for best in the series definitely goes to Uncharted 4. Uncharted 2 is very good, but I think Uncharted 4 has much better locales and story. The brother storyline and husband-wife dynamic of Uncharted 4 is so much more interesting to me, and the pirate backstory in Uncharted 4 is better than the Shambhala backstory in Uncharted 2. While the gameplay is very similar, Uncharted 4 is a little more refined too. If I had to give one edge to Uncharted 2, it would be the shorter length (about 10-15 hours).. I felt that Uncharted 4 stretched out about 5 hours too long.

I haven't played Uncharted 1 or 3 yet, and not sure if I will. Too much backlog to finish elsewhere. If I play another one, my next Uncharted would be Lost Legacy, because I've heard it has another strong story.

Return to “Now Playing”