NBA Jam (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

NBA Jam (SNES)

Postby Herschie » August 30th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I'll never forget the first time I saw this game. We were at a train station in Seattle, having just arrived from Portland. My dad knew how big of a Drexler fan I was, so he made sure to add Portland to our summer trip itinerary. In all honesty, there were a lot of drug addicts, and it seemed quite dirty. Perhaps we were just in the wrong part of town.

But now we were in Seattle, the NBA Jam arcade was there, we had a few minutes to kill, and my dad had a few quarters in his pocket. I was so impressed with the graphics, and my parents even sprung for the Game Gear version because I never had the16-bit systems until the late 90s. NBA Jam wasn't quite the same on Game Gear.

Nothing says I can't play it now, I'm only a quarter of a century late to the party. And I'm enjoying it very much. Believe it or not, I'm having trouble remembering which button passes, and which button shoots. I guess that's kind of an issue. And I love the halftime show featuring a dunk by Horace Grant that happened in Game 1 of the 1992 Finals. Ain't 16-bit video great?

If only I'd have studied a little harder back then, maybe I too could have enjoyed NBA Jam in its heyday.

Retro STrife

Re: NBA Jam (SNES)

Postby Retro STrife » September 3rd, 2019, 9:35 am

Better late than never! I played NBA Jam a few times in the arcades back in the day, but, like you, I didn't really pick up the habit until years later. It's amazing how well it holds up all these years later - definitely up there with games like Tecmo Super Bowl as a timeless all-time great sports game. While I collected most of the different versions (and the later spin-offs like NBA Hangtime), my go-to version is NBA Jam T.E. for the Genesis. I like the controller and I'm used to the rosters. Plus when I think of NBA Jam, I usually think of the Genesis for some reason, even though it came out on so many systems (and I never owned a Genesis as a kid, so I'm not really sure where that idea comes from). Even on the Genesis though, I have the same problem as you where I mix up the pass and shoot buttons once in awhile, and the steal and block buttons on defense. Nothing like making a clutch *pass* with 1 second left!

Every fall I pull out NBA Jam T.E. and get back into it, for a yearly NBA Jam tournament I play in. This year it's just a few weeks away, so I'll be playing this one again soon.

CharlieR

Re: NBA Jam (SNES)

Postby CharlieR » September 4th, 2019, 8:09 am

I grew up playing the genesis game a lot, as well as NBA Jam T.E. There is a youtube series called Console Wars. there is a thread about it here I believe, But it is two guys going head-to-head on which version of a game is better: SNES or Genesis. They compare versions of Aladdin, Mortal Kombat 3, and of course NBA Jam.

I've never played the SNES version myself, but apparently, it has better color. Also, with the shoulder buttons on the SNES controller, it's easier to execute turbo. It seems the one negative is that there is no music during gameplay.

Return to “Now Playing”