Breakout (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Breakout (Atari 2600)

Postby Herschie » September 25th, 2019, 1:58 am

You know, when I hear the legend of Polybius and how it had people hypnotized and playing for hours on end, I tend to believe it when I play games like this! I always knew what Breakout was, but never really had the urge to play it. And so it's been sitting on my shelf to moving box, back to shelf, to moving box, again to shelf, and finally today I saw it in a moving bin. Also I just happened to want to see how Atari 2600 looked on an old CRT I bought for twenty-five bucks from a repair shop. It's a 13-inch Toshiba, and by the looks of it, I'd say it's from the mid to late 80s. Yes, it has the woodgrain finish. No, it doesn't have any composite inputs. RF, baby!

Also, my paddle controller has been sitting in my big tangle of wires that every man over the age of 30 is rumored to have. It took a little untangling, but I finally got it free. Been sitting in the hollow of a footrest my mother bought for me many years ago since 2011. Wow, I haven't played a paddle-control game on my Atari 2600 for eight years! Where does the time go?

So finally I played. As with all Atari 2600 games, I figured I'd play for a few minutes while my wife was taking a shower, then we'd cuddle for a while before I have to be in bed for work tomorrow (Sales is a brutal job when you're tired). That didn't happen. The simple graphics with the blip-and-bloop sound effects doesn't look like much. But the game is so addicting! It has that "just one more time" quality to it, which really adds up. An hour and a half later, there I am, a blippin and a bloopin through those rainbow colored walls.

Finally I broke through and it was satisfying watching the ball bounce around on the top. The ball also tends to move faster as you get towards the top rows, but it's mighty satisfying catching it with the paddle controllers.

Ok, bed time. My wife has long given up and is in the living room watching Investigation Discovery with the dogs. And my melatonin is kicking in. Hopefully I don't get the genius idea of playing before work tomorrow, or I'm going to have some explaining to do to my boss!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Breakout (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 13th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Breakout is great but you're living in the past. You need to step out of the 1970's and INTO the 1980's man!!!

I'm talking about Super Breakout!! Wait till you hear those metallic sound effects. Far more futuristic than anything I've played in 2019.

Return to “Now Playing”