Crash Team Racing (Playstation 1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Crash Team Racing (Playstation 1)

Postby Herschie » October 16th, 2019, 4:26 am

Boy oh boy, I'm on a roll with these Mariokart alternatives. And you know what? I think that this beats Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. Both games are extremely fun, but I've always loved graphics from the PS1/N64. They have a certain charm to them with the pixelated graphics, and the shortcuts they had to use to save memory. Reminds me of the good old days when I'd be playing games waiting for a girl to call.

I'm sure many of us remember that! My mom had this really annoying friend who would always call at the worst times and tie up the phone line for over an hour. My friends would be trying to call, a girl would want to see me. But no! My father would never even think to spring for call waiting or a second line. I guess he thought the mortgage was a little more important.

So I have stories from the 90s of games like this, but not this exact game. And now I feel as if I missed out. It has the same fun formula as MarioKart, and many of the items are different, but function the same way as many of the MarioKart items. For instance, bombs act like green shells, and the missiles act as red shells. Some sort of green box acts as a fake item, and some sort of potion acts as a banana. Then you have that weird jungle guy dancing around you that functions as the star.

One thing I like about this is that it doesn't have that rubberband AI that Mario Kart 64 has, and I like that. Still, the races tend to be quite challenging.

Definitely found a winner here!

Return to “Now Playing”