Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Re: Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)

Postby Herschie » August 11th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Voor wrote:Did you finish it? I saw a PS classic at Walmart for $29 and thought about getting it just to try this game.

Not yet but I recently picked it up again and I'm hooked. Though I can't seem to beat that stupid ninja!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » August 11th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Herschie wrote:Not yet but I recently picked it up again and I'm hooked. Though I can't seem to beat that stupid ninja!

Well deserving to be considered one of the PS1's best games. I've owned since back in the day but only completed it for the first time last year.

On my first revisit a few years previously I hit a roadblock at the Ninja fight too. It's a very tough boss. I think I ended up resigning myself to consulting a walkthrough after multiple failures.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 11th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Interesting, I thought about busting out my PS Classic earlier this week and giving MGS a try. I played it for about 30 minutes before and didn’t really “get” it, but I feel like it deserves another chance.

And FF7…..and Symphony of the Night.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 13th, 2021, 9:39 am

Voor wrote:Interesting, I thought about busting out my PS Classic earlier this week and giving MGS a try. I played it for about 30 minutes before and didn’t really “get” it, but I feel like it deserves another chance.

And FF7…..and Symphony of the Night.

Yeah, the first 30 minutes can be a slog. Back in the day, I played the demo of the game and it was basically the opening 30 minutes.. it did not hook me whatsoever. The marketing campaign was pretty awful too IMO- friends loved it, but it made me think the game looked stupid. Well, with enough prodding from friends and EGM raving about it, I finally got the game - mostly because I "won" it for free when I got to pick a free PS1 game after winning a gaming tournament at a local Walmart.

Anyway, it became one of my favorite games and, after playing the even better MGS3, my favorite series. Stick with it - it improves a lot after the opening spots. While I have some favorite PS1 and Saturn games that I personally prefer over MGS, I think, objectively, it's the best PS1 game and the best game of the PS1/SAT/N64 era. Though I assume some N64 fans might disagree on that latter part.

I'll add too - I think it holds up better than any other 3D game of the era. Combat controls are a bit clunky by today's standards, but the graphics, camera, voice acting, story, etc. are all a lot more bearable than most other 3D games of the 90's.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » August 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm

This is one of my favorite games, maybe number 1 for me actually. I have such great memories of this back in the day. I remember when it came out, I was only 8 at the time, but my older brother got it for Christmas that year. Myself and my other brother would watch him play it, and even though I was only 8 I was so interested in the story, always waiting for the next cutscene to reveal more of the story. Back then that blew my mind. I would end up playing it myself a year or so later and absolutely loved it. I'd play it multiple times. I like to revisit it every so often, it just holds up so well for me, and is always an enjoyable experience, feels timeless almost.

Return to “Now Playing”