Rampart (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rampart (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I've had this one on the shelf for so long I almost forgot about it. My friends are big Warlords fans so we gave this a try the other night.

Rampart is a two-player game played in two phases. At the beginning of each round you build walls to enclose a castle, and the Tetris-style blocks add a lot of strategy. You're limited to 20 seconds so you need to act fast. The second phase is the battle phase as you move a crosshair around aiming your cannon balls. Finally you survey the damage and the cycle starts again.

It's a pretty ingenious game but this version has some flaws. First, the graphics aren't very distinct, making it hard to tell what's happening in the heat of battle. Next, the sense of progression is suspect. My friends kept getting prompted to continue, but it was never clear if the game would ever end. Later we turned down the number of rounds on the options screen, which helped a lot. Still, it's hard to tell who's winning at any given time.

Despite the issues my friends acted like this was one of the best games they've ever played, so it will go into our normal rotation.

We also tried the 3-players arcade version on the Midway Arcade Classic compilation (Vol 1) for the Xbox. The graphics were a bit sharper, but the controls were less responsive, perhaps due to the emulation.

Full review forthcoming...

Atariboy

Re: Rampart (Genesis)

Postby Atariboy » November 21st, 2019, 5:48 am

The arcade game used a track-ball, which never translates perfectly to a modern analog stick on a classic arcade compilation.

Controls such as track-balls are the main issue with emulating both the original Atari Inc. and later Atari Games arcade lineups. Traditional digital 8 way joysticks, which are what translates best to our modern console gamepads, were a bit of a rarity in their lineups. So we're often left with less than perfect control over games that require finesse and which had no issues in their native form.

One is better off as a result to seek out and enjoy the console versions from back in the day for games like this and Marble Madness, which have been fine tuned for the controller they're being played with.

VideoGameCritic wrote:We also tried the 3-players arcade version on the Midway Arcade Classic compilation (Vol 1) for the Xbox. The graphics were a bit sharper, but the controls were less responsive, perhaps due to the emulation.

It's also on Midway Arcade Origins which you've reviewed for the Xbox 360.

I'm uncertain that you'll find the control any better there, but you'll see a big boost in the visuals at least on a HDTV. There's also a good SNES port that you and your buddies might enjoy, with a console specific "Super Rampart" mode that revamps the game and adds a lot of things.

I run out of talent after 7 or 8 rounds, but that new mode on the SNES game is great fun while it lasts.

Return to “Now Playing”