Code Vein (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Code Vein (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 29th, 2019, 2:33 pm

And so, my quest to find more Dark Souls now that the trilogy is finished continues! At first I wasn't impressed by the trailers and gameplay I'd seen. It looked like just another Dark Souls clone (a la Nioh or The Surge) but with anime graphics this time. But then I saw some really good reviews of it coming in, and when I found it for $30 in Black Friday I decided to give it a try.

First impressions are mostly positive. The character customization is one of the deepest I've ever seen, so you can make an anime hero who looks just about however you want...except for fat and short.

There are only four types of weapons (that I've found so far, anyway) swords, hammers/axes, polearms (like an axe but lighter) and bayonetted rifles. They all work fine, but I haven't found one that matches my preferred playstyle yet. I'm usually okay sacrificing speed for a hard hitting weapon, but the hammers in Code Vein are a little too slow. As in, if you don't kill your enemy with your first combo, you're not gonna be able to get out of the way before they hit back and lose a lot of health. Right now, I'm using a polearm and upgrading it every chance I get. Hopefully that'll give me a little more speed.

That said, the combat still doesn't feel like it flows as naturally as it did in Dark Souls. Even in the first game, transitioning from a roll to an attack and then to a block felt completely natural. Code Vein isnt bad, per se, but...I'm not even sure how to explain it. It just doesnt feel as good.

The environments are pretty boring so far, with the early game consisting of either post apocalyptic cities, or underground tunnels. That said, I've seen other areas in screenshots and videos, and they do get better.

You can choose a partner this time around, and I'm divided on whether I like them or not. Their constant chatter gets annoying fast. And since this is built off of Dark Souls' mechanics, it just feels wrong to always have someone there reviving you and helping you gang up on monsters. You're able to go out solo, but the boss fights are built around you having a partner, and are nearly impossible alone.

The story hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but I can see the potential in what it's trying to do so I'll stick with it.

Bottom line, it's no Dark Souls replacement, but it does what it tries to do all right. It's pretty much what you'd get if you mixed Dark Souls gameplay with a Tales Of game story and graphics. I like it so far. Whether or not I start to love it depends on how engaging the story becomes.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Code Vein (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Hmm. Speaking of companions, they seem a little imbalanced. At least in the early parts of the game. Having one is essential since the tendency to get ganged up on by multiple enemies is a lot higher than in Dark Souls, and you need them to distract them. But you only have two choices, Louis and Yakumo. Louis is next to worthless because he takes too much damage and deals too little, and Yakumo will freaking destroy anything in his path, often before you can even get a hit in. With him, its almost like the game is playing itself. Either too much challenge, or not enough. It would have balanced out if, say, Louis could use revival magic on you but Yakumo couldn't, but nope. Yakko can bring you back just like Louis.

Return to “Now Playing”