Gris [Switch/PS4/Xbox/Steam]

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Gris [Switch/PS4/Xbox/Steam]

Postby DrLitch » December 4th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Playing this platformer right now.

20 minutes in.

Bored out of my skull.

Beautiful graphics and music is not enough for me. I cannot recall a video game with as little action as this since, perhaps, Journey on the PS3/4.

Does this game liven up at all? Is it worth playing further - i.e. better puzzles or some actual platforming action?

I am thinking of calling it quits and chalking this one down as a bad buy.

Buttermancan

Re: Gris [Switch/PS4/Xbox/Steam]

Postby Buttermancan » December 30th, 2019, 5:22 am

I remember this game being received with mixed reactions upon release. It's currently on sale on the Switch. Did you put any more time into it and if so what are your thoughts now? Thinking of buying if it's fun enough as I love the look of it!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 30th, 2019, 9:57 am

Buttermancan wrote:I remember this game being received with mixed reactions upon release. It's currently on sale on the Switch. Did you put any more time into it and if so what are your thoughts now? Thinking of buying if it's fun enough as I love the look of it!

Audio Visual are works of art, beautiful.

It reminds me a bit of Journey on the PS3. It also reminds me a little of Inside or Limbo less the doom and gloom and gory deaths. Like Journey it is an acquired taste. I put another hour onto Gris. Outside of the AV aspect there is no substance to the game. Puzzles are easy/trivial, the entire game, like Journey is trying to hook one into an "experience".

I did not complete it and do not intend to. Not my cup of tea and I passed the threshold where I can get my money back. Maybe my wife will like it.

I get the mixed reviews aspect of it, this one like Journey is going to be liked by some and hated by others. I happen to agree with the latter.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 1st, 2020, 5:19 pm

Thanks for replying with additional feedback. This could be one that I enjoy. I say this as you mentioned that Inside and Limbo have a similar feel to them. I didn't get far with Limbo but I found Inside to be a work of art and one of the best games I've played in the last decade! If it is similar to that then this could be my cup of tea. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Regards,

Chris

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 2nd, 2020, 5:05 pm

As Yahtzee puts it, Gris is the video game equivalent of Oscar bait. All style and no substance. The blurb on Steam calls it "A serene and evocative experience, free of danger, frustration, or death." For those who don't speak Artsifartsian, that translates roughly to "No challenge, no failure, and it only has gameplay because that's a requirement when making a video game."

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm

Buttermancan wrote:I say this as you mentioned that Inside and Limbo have a similar feel to them. I didn't get far with Limbo but I found Inside to be a work of art and one of the best games I've played in the last decade! If it is similar to that then this could be my cup of tea.

I must quickly backtrack and reclarify. Inside and Limbo share one feature with Gris - they are ultimately puzzler platformers, slow moving with mostly obvious situational puzzles. This is where the similarities end. Limbo and, in particular, Inside, is a journey to the depths of comtemporary hell, hell in cyberpunk/dystopian form. They were isolationary, a depressing mechanical journey to nowhere. Gris is a journey into one girl's depressive neuroses. One explores the choir invisible, one explores suicidal notions incured by depression.

I remember a day when gaming was not as deep as this...

Voor

Postby Voor » December 12th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Picked this up for $6. 2D puzzle platforms are one of my favorite genres. I’ll give it a go.

Return to “Now Playing”