The Burger King Games (Xbox)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Burger King Games (Xbox)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm

One benefit of retro-gaming is that you can objectively look back on some of the older titles that might not have been overlooked or disrespected back in the day. In 2006 Burger King released a trio of budget games: Sneak King, Big Bumpin, and Pocket Bike Racer which were pretty remarkable.

First off, they ran on both the Xbox and Xbox 360 (!), with a higher resolution on the 360. Yes the SAME DISC worked on both. I'm still not sure how they did that. For some reason two of the games star Playboy model Brooke Burke, which is slightly odd but mostly awesome. And the King himself is always good for a laugh because he looks so creepy/ridiculous.

The games are pretty good. My friends and I have been playing the "ice hockey" variation of Big Bumpin, which Kevin described as "Rocket League before there was Rocket League". The Bike racer lets you race around realistic environments like a Burger King restaurant at night. I love it! I also intend to take another look at Sneak King and update the reviews.

Anybody else have fond memories of these??

Ozzybear

Re: The Burger King Games (Xbox)

Postby Ozzybear » December 19th, 2019, 10:26 am

I played sneak king more than I did the others, but they were always goofy fun time killer games to me when When I just wanted to play something a lil different !

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Yeahhh now we're talking. I loved that promotion.

Ha, the funny thing is I thought that those games might become rare someday -- a lot of games released for promotional purposes about food/drinks/etc. eventually become worth good money. I don't mean games released in retail stores (like Kool-Aid Man or Chester Cheetah).. I'm talking about games given out just as promotions (like Pepsi Invaders or Chase the Chuckwagon). I thought these Burger King promo games had similar potential to rise in value, so I bought three copies each of all 3 games -- 1 set to play, and 2 sealed sets to save. It was $4 per game ($12 for the set), so I spent $36 on them. (And on top of buying the games, you had to buy a meal too to get the promotion.) I was a broke college student at the time, so thankfully that stopped me from buying more.

Anyway... my rarity prediction has completely failed lol. I thought quantities would be very limited, but that didn't happen. Burger King released tons and tons of the games, so they were everywhere. And they're still everywhere; very easy to find. A sealed set of all 3 is worth less than $10, which is less than it cost in 2006. I guess it's impressive that a game never released in retail stores became so common to find. In fact, they might be the most common non-retail games ever released. (Any others close?)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2019, 3:59 pm

As for the games, Big Bumpin' was legitimately a good game, especially for $4. I loved playing it online with friends. "Rocket League before Rocket League" is a good summary. Sneak King was pretty funny too, and I played it straight til the end. As for Pocket Bike Racer - no thanks, that game was clearly the dud of the group and never got much playtime from me. For someone looking to expand their Xbox or Xbox 360 collection, these games are weird enough to be interesting and cheap enough to be make it an easy decision.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 19th, 2019, 6:01 pm

It's funny. A local game store had a "Superhero day" sale where every game featuring a superhero was discounted. I insisted Burger King was a superhero and I ended up getting sneak king for next to nothing. It's actually still entertaining! I played it on the 360 and OG Xbox and the differences are small, although the 360 version appears to have better lighting and colors.

Return to “Now Playing”