Test Drive 2: The Duel (SNES, lots of other platforms)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
comchia

Test Drive 2: The Duel (SNES, lots of other platforms)

Postby comchia » January 6th, 2020, 10:01 am

Hey everyone, this is my debut post!

So I'm currently revisiting the SNES racing title Test Drive 2: The Duel. It's been released on a bunch of other computer and console platforms, but I seem to like the SNES one best, especially for (and surprisingly, given the slower SNES processor) the speed. While the gameplay is fairly simple, I really enjoy the execution and the challenge, especially in how it tests both your reflex and endurance skills in how each of the four stages is broken up into around five sections. I also love the music for the game, which, while simple and straightforward, is surprisingly catchy, and extremely well-tailored to the feel of driving on the open road, calling back to Outrun. I wish this version had some of the cars from the PC expansion sets, but, for only having three cars to drive, there's a fair bit of strategy in how to drive each of them. So far, so good for this game.

Longplay I found for the title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_XnMiesDW4&t=3s

jon

Re: Test Drive 2: The Duel (SNES, lots of other platforms)

Postby jon » January 6th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Test Drive 2 on the computer was freaking fantastic. That's the kind of game I bet I could play now and still really enjoy. This was from Accolade's golden age. Boy were there a lot of great developers back then. Wow have things changed. By the late 90's all of these amazing developers were gone. Of course 3d is just so amazing that..... oh wait

comchia

Re: Test Drive 2: The Duel (SNES, lots of other platforms)

Postby comchia » January 25th, 2020, 12:11 am

jon wrote:Test Drive 2 on the computer was freaking fantastic. That's the kind of game I bet I could play now and still really enjoy. This was from Accolade's golden age. Boy were there a lot of great developers back then. Wow have things changed. By the late 90's all of these amazing developers were gone. Of course 3d is just so amazing that..... oh wait

Yeah, Accolade put out a lot of good stuff back in the day, Test Drive 2 included. I'm usually PC MASTER RACE when it comes to my games, but for some reason, I like the SNES version more than the already good PC/Amiga versions, though I like that those have expansions. I like how simple, yet challenge, TD2 is, and particularly how creative it is with the whole longform street racing idea.

On a side note, the first Need for Speed game from 1996 (at least on PS1/Saturn) reminded me of almost being like a spiritual successor of Test Drive 2, right down to the eclectic car selection and city race mode. That's super cool in my book to bring that formula to a new generation of gaming.

Return to “Now Playing”