Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 7th, 2020, 7:41 pm

First impressions on this game are mixed, but leaning more towards positivity. It has the same parry-heavy combat as Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and a "bonfire" mechanic that refills health, respawns enemies, and let's you level up like Dark Souls.

It shares most in common with Sekiro since the basic combat is essentially identical. You're supposed to hit the block button right before an attack hits you to parry it, either stunning your enemy or reducing their stamina to stun them after multiple parries. I'm finding it much easier to pull off than in Sekiro, but it still takes some getting used to.

Weirdly, this game is both MORE accessible than Sekiro (which kicked my butt) and LESS accessible. It has multiple difficulty settings to choose from (I'm playing on second-to-hardest) so the game is only as hard as you make it. Where it gets confusing is that the game has a linear progression mapped out for you, but pretends to offer you choices. After beating the first level, you can choose between two planets to go to next. One is the right choice, the other is filled with enemies that will slaughter you unless you have powers and abilities that you don't get until you beat the other planet. This is problematic because if you, like me, choose that planet first, you could get a bad impression on the game and give up before realizing that you're not even supposed to be there yet. Similar to how some players accidentally wandered into the New Londo Ruins at the beginning of Dark Souls, one of the few flaws I think that game has.

Anither problem is with the enemies. Parrying and dodging storm troopers is simple enough because their movements are easy to read. But things like giant rats, crabs, and spiders will take big chunks off your health because they move so strangely that it can be hard to tell when they're actually attacking or just winding up for one. And since this is copying the Soulsborne style of difficulty, any enemy you approach without knowing how to react can wipe the floor with you.

My only other gripe is with the walls. Yes, the walls. There is a lot of Uncharted style climbing in this game, but what you're able to do with each type of wall can be confusing. Press L2 next to a notched wall to climb it--oh, but not THAT kind of notched wall, that's for sprinting across. If you're like me, his'll lead to a lot of frustrating pitfalls. At least those only take a small bit of your health instead of killing you outright, especially since the load times after dying are SOOOO FREAKING LOOONNNNG.

Even the climbing itself can be confusing. You can only grab hold of certain ledges, small comfort when you're on a floating platform with three ledges that LOOK like you should be able to jump and grab, but you have to work out which one is the REAL one through the process of elimination.

Still, I'm having fun with it. Parrying a laser right back into the stormtrooper that shot it is RIDICULOUSLY satisfying. The game is far from perfect, but its nowhere near bad either. The story is turning out to be pretty engaging too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Yeah I experienced some frustration, especially when you're trying to parry against multiple stormtroopers. Finally I dialed the difficulty down to "story" and I'm enjoying it a lot more since it's more forgiving.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 11th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Looks like I've run into a game breaking glitch on Kashyyyk. There's an elevator that takes you to a boss fight, but if you die it stays up there and you don't have a way to call it back. Hope this gets patched soon.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 11th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Update: running through the level a second time reset the elevator's position. Annoying, but at least I can keep going now.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 13th, 2020, 6:46 am

On a side note, nothing is funnier than hearing a purge trooper trash talk you, only to casually force push them off a cliff.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 13th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I finally finished Shenmue III, so started Fallen Order yesterday. I had a bug early on, on the Imperial train. I climber across a wall then onto a post which swings out so you can grab another wall. But I did something it didn't expect and ended up on the floor again, but the camera got stuck on the outside wall. I couldn't see my character except top of his head. Finally I jumped to my death out the window and it reset.

I didn't go to Dathomir as my first chosen planet (but 3rd visited planet). I figured that would be harder based on what I remember from the Clone Wars show. I chose the other planet and that is where i stll am, reflecting blaster shots back at stormtroopers. Its a fun game so far. Lots of platforming, climbing, and exploring how to make progress. Its nice to have a single player SW game again.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 13th, 2020, 5:11 pm

One funny glitch happened in the second Zeffo tomb. You have to grab a cable and pull it back to open a gate
For some reason when I tried to tie off the cable, Cal had a spaz attack that ended with him standing upside down on the ceiling. I couldn't move him at all until he randomly did the cable-attaching animation, and was suddenly on the floor again.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 26th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I'll be posting my review of this Tuesday.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 26th, 2020, 6:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'll be posting my review of this Tuesday.

Interesting. I'm all for expanding your interests, but I never thought you'd start reviewing days of the week.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 26th, 2020, 6:44 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I'll be posting my review of this Tuesday.

Interesting. I'm all for expanding your interests, but I never thought you'd start reviewing days of the week.

As bummed out as I've been about Kobe all day, this legit made me smile. Thank you :lol:

Return to “Now Playing”