Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Gameboy)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
jon

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Gameboy)

Postby jon » March 30th, 2020, 12:25 am

I’ll prefsce this by saying that it is above average and I’ve been playing it. But there’s way too much forced jumping into the air. The helicopter power up is such a rip off of the flying leaf from SMB 3. There’s more water levels than any Super Mario game I’ve ever played. This whole constantly being in the air is such a bummer. One of the water levels is almost exactly like one from Super Mario World. The designers mentioned they wanted it to be like SMB and SMW. Personally the hub either could have been way tuned down or not particularly necessary. They could have kept some things from the first game like getting hard to reach coins from the fireball. After finishing the first game I was excited to play this and the Wario games. I probably will but I really am not too fond of this game right now. Of course perhaps it could change.

jon

Re: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Gameboy)

Postby jon » August 2nd, 2020, 5:50 pm

I’m really not liking this game anymore. It was fun for a week, but I really can’t play it anymore. I don’t understand all the great reviews and how it’s better than SML 1. I wonder if anyone actually plays this game anymore. Not only is it unlike the original, but it’s maybe the slowest paced Mario game ever. The coin system is terrible. You can get 999 coins, and then lose 500 of them. What about 100 for an extra life and cal it a day? They give you like 1,000 seconds for level, which I’ve never seen in any Mario game ever. It’s obviously because it encourages exploration.
There’s no context for this game. It’s nothing like the amazing original. It might as well have been Called Super Mario Bros. 3/World. I don’t even know why it’s called SML 2. This game is the perfect example of everything I can’t stand about video games. And of course it’s from 1992 when everything seemed to be getting more complicated. That’s why I don’t trust any Game Boy games after 1990 or so. It took me time to realize that this game is not that good. And I thought about how the fireball thing from the original not only should have been brought back, but expanded upon. Instead of getting coins and stuff it could’ve been used to do more. Of course like every other aspect of the amazing original, it’d absent.

Return to “Now Playing”