Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2020, 7:44 pm

So I was reviewing Super Breakout for the Atari XE, and I realized I needed to re-review the Atari 2600 game as a basis for comparison. Then I realized I needed to re-review the original Breakout too.

But while played the Atari 2600 version of Super Breakout, I noticed something strange. The paddle controls are very smooth for all the variations EXCEPT progressive. In this mode, the controls are HORRIBLE. The paddle is very jumpy and seems to get stuck on occasion.

I'm surprised I never noticed this until now. Can anyone corroborate this?

LuckyMan

Re: Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Postby LuckyMan » April 7th, 2020, 2:00 pm

I don't know, Dave. I tried all of the variations in Super Breakout including progressive and didn't notice a difference in the control. Although my paddles aren't perfect. They do have a tiny bit of jitter, but it doesn't seem to be any worse in the progressive variation.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2020, 3:57 pm

So I swapped out my paddles to see if that was the issue, but same problem.

Next I swapped out my "heavy sixer" Atari 2600 (circa 1977) for a Darth Vader (all black) model I had in my stash. And guess what? Progressive worked fine. Perfectly smooth paddle movement.

So I think I may have stumbled on an irregularity you only experience when using an older model Atari 2600! Will it be enough to get Super Breakout out of my doghouse? Stay tuned. Review coming soon.

Return to “Now Playing”