Void Bastards

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Void Bastards

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 5th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Technically not a "now playing" since it doesn't come out for PS4 until Thursday, but definitely an "eagerly looking forward to definitely playing."

Void Bastards is a roguelike first person shooter made by the developers behind System Shock 2 and Bioshock. You are one of an infinite number of inmates on a prison spaceship that loses power in a mysterious graveyard of other ships in the middle of space, woken out of cryosleep to scavenge the materials needed to fix your ship from the others in your vicinity. Each ship you can travel to is small enough to be explored in a few minutes, but the layout will be randomly generated and might feature special objectives like turning the power back on before scavenging. Every time you die, a new inmate will be woken up, each with their own randomly generated class, abilities, traits, and flaws, ensuring that no two playthroughs are exactly alike.

Really looking forward to giving this one a go later this week.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Void Bastards

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 8th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Played this for a couple hours today, and I'm having a good time so far! The shooting is basic but functional, and there's a surprising emphasis on stealth (at least in the early game where I am). Nothing fancy, but sneaking around stronger enemies is usually better, especially since ammo is extremely limited.

Each ship is small and can be thoroughly explored in about 5-10 minutes, but I recommend going to the helm first to download item locations to save time (unless the power is turned off, in which case go to the generator room and THEN the helm).

Surprisingly, I haven't died all that much, which is NOT what I expected. Because of that I haven't had much chance to see the random character creation in action, but the ones I have gotten were interesting. My first guy was a smoker and would randomly cough, alerting nearby enemies to my location. My second guy had a 25% chance not to eat food while travelling, but would yell "YAHOOO!" whenever he found something, making sneaking with him difficult. My third character is a midget. No, I'm not kidding. So her standing height is everybody else's crouching height. She also had a higher chance of landing critical attacks, but a random event took that away and replaced it with one that made doors close automatically after I use them (that actually saved my life more than once, believe it or not).

So, first impressions are good! For a roguelike, it's simple enough to jump into, challenging enough to stay engaging, and has just enough depth hidden inside it to make me want to see where it's going.

Return to “Now Playing”