Lightening Force (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lightening Force (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2020, 12:37 pm

I had totally forgotten about this game, but pulling it off the shelf brought back so many memories of living at home.

This is basically the successor of Thunder Force 3, but I'm not crazy about the artistic style. I can tell the heads from the tails of these shapeless blobs. Also, some of the stages (like the desert) don't look so hot. And the slowdown.

Still the firepower is great and the controls are good. There's a stage select. There's even a little scaling as enemies approach from the background. Overall I have mixed feelings.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Lightening Force (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2020, 8:11 pm

So this game was called Thunder Force IV outside of America. Why did Sega of America change it?
That's dumb. Even dumber is spelling it wrong!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 6th, 2020, 11:52 pm

The fighter in that game doesn't really have wings. It must stay airborne by means of antigravity, some kind of lightening force.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 7th, 2020, 3:31 am

Hoping to check this one out at some point – I did hear quite a few places say this should have made it onto the Mega Drive Mini over Thunder Force III.

VideoGameCritic wrote:So this game was called Thunder Force IV outside of America. Why did Sega of America change it?
That's dumb. Even dumber is spelling it wrong!

I never even noticed this. I even had to double check it's not a British spelling (because that would be even more confusing) but it isn't. For some reason I have memories as a kid being told that's how we spelt it - as in thunder and lightening.

It is a word though.

lightening | ˈlʌɪt(ə)nɪŋ |
a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

So yeah. Lightening Force...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 7th, 2020, 7:59 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:It is a word though.

lightening | ˈlʌɪt(ə)nɪŋ |
a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

So yeah. Lightening Force...

That's disturbing...

sixam

Postby sixam » May 8th, 2020, 6:16 am

lightening:

noun Medicine/Medical.
the descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity, occurring toward the end of pregnancy, changing the contour of the abdomen and facilitating breathing by lessening pressure under the diaphragm.

verb (used without object)
to become lighter or less dark; brighten: The sky lightened after the storm.
to brighten or light up, as the eyes or features: Her face lightened when she heard the good news.

Now, if Sega had called the game Lightning Force...

GTS

Postby GTS » May 8th, 2020, 6:42 am

"Lightening Force" was a misspelling. They obviously meant for it to be called Lightning Force, since it's the 4th game in a thunderstorm-related series.

They didn't want to call it Thunder Force IV in America, because the series never caught on here.

Return to “Now Playing”