Virtua Racing (switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Buttermancan

Virtua Racing (switch)

Postby Buttermancan » May 17th, 2020, 8:16 am

Wow this game is addictive. It truly has that "Just one more go" quality to it!
I remember renting the Megadrive version back in the day. I was impressed at the time by how it looked but didn't enjoy the gameplay; too hard!
The Switch version is also very hard but runs so smoothly. For £5 ($6-$7) it's a steal!

The graphics are great too. I really dig the flat shaded, textureless models. Though awful looking the pit stop crew are hilarious to gawk at.

Of course the handling isn't very realistic but has nuance to it and is most challenging.

I highly recommend this and will do a review at some point!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Virtua Racing (switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2020, 10:54 am

Is this the arcade version of Virtua Racing?

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm

i think i may have to finally buy a Switch..there seems to be a lot of good old school games on it

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 17th, 2020, 2:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is this the arcade version of Virtua Racing?

It's one of the Sega Ages releases for the Switch and is an enhanced port of the arcade game with improved visuals (same polygon look with higher resolution and better frame rate), split-screen that supports up to 8 players, and online multiplayer. There is also a Grand Prix mode where races are 20 laps long, and you have to worry about things like tire wear.

The only thing missing that would make the game better would be the addition of some new tracks, which is disappointing considering the Sega Ages release for the PS2 had some. Other than that, this is a really terrific version.

This along with Sega Ages Outrun are probably my two favorites racers from this generation. (Not sure if that says more about how great these games are or the state of racing games in general today.) I would love to see these on a physical Sega Ages collection for the Switch, but I'm not holding my breath.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 17th, 2020, 4:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is this the arcade version of Virtua Racing?

It's purely the Arcade version with a few bells and whistles. 60fps (it's buttery smooth) and 1080p docked - 720p Handheld. I think it supports up to 8 players local co-op (Haven't tried that) and Online splitscreen (Haven't tried that either).
I remember trying the arcade version back in the 90's and being terrible at it. Too dificult and too expensive for 10 year old me (time ran out far too quickly!), it is so fun today being able to re-play as many times as I wish and not worry about cost.
It is so hard but so easy to get into and it's so satisfying beating your best times.

There are some complaints that it should've of added additional content but in my opinion it's a very faithful recreation of the original for modern audiences. After the joy the title has given me I'd be willing to spend double the amount on the game but I think it's a good business decision to put it out at the price point they've gone for.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 22nd, 2020, 11:11 pm

Just played it now. To tell you the truth, I want to get it on the Genesis or the Dreamcast if they made it. My eyes get tired with the razor-sharp graphics, though they're nice. 240p or 480i on a CRT would be just dandy. And who needs textures? We can, and do have fun without them!

And, yes, Critic, I do click on the eBay links on your page. Just ordered it for the Genesis.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 1st, 2020, 4:55 am

The Genesis version is fun, though probably shouldn't have been attempted. The graphics are scaled way back and it seems like my poor Genesis is gasping for air. Interesting to see what they could do though.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm

The Megadrive port of Virtua Racing is why I enjoy retrogaming - there's just something inspiring about overcoming harsh technical limitations. And the game's running at a much higher frame rate than was standard for sixteen bit.

I still play it today.

Anyways, every single frame of the Switch version is practically a poster for itself. And it's absolutely worth a purchase...if you know what you're getting into. And if you don't mind the faded contrast that turns blacks into soft greys.

It's a pity that we still don't have a definitive version of the game.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » June 10th, 2020, 8:04 am

I've just put out my final thoughts in the Readers review section. I had a fantastic time with this game. One of the best racers I've played for ages!

Return to “Now Playing”