The Evil Within (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

The Evil Within (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 17th, 2020, 5:02 pm

A total impulse buy this time, but one that hopefully proves worthwhile in my neverending search for a game that can actually scare me. I hear there's more of a focus on stealth here than in other games, and I like stealth, so maybe I'll like The Evil Within just for that.

Retro STrife

Re: The Evil Within (PS4)

Postby Retro STrife » May 17th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Ah I remember that quest of yours to find a game that can scare ya. Have you tried the Alien Isolation game that the VGC ranked at #1 scariest? And have you tried the Amnesia series, especially the Dark Descent game? It’s been around for like 10 years but somehow I just heard of it. I’ve heard quite a few websites call it the most influential survival horror game of the past decade. The PS4 has Amnesia Collection with all the games included. I usually have no interest in survival horror games, but the praise for Amnesia Collection has me intrigued.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: The Evil Within (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 18th, 2020, 2:48 am

Retro STrife wrote:Ah I remember that quest of yours to find a game that can scare ya. Have you tried the Alien Isolation game that the VGC ranked at #1 scariest? And have you tried the Amnesia series, especially the Dark Descent game? It’s been around for like 10 years but somehow I just heard of it. I’ve heard quite a few websites call it the most influential survival horror game of the past decade. The PS4 has Amnesia Collection with all the games included. I usually have no interest in survival horror games, but the praise for Amnesia Collection has me intrigued.

I downloaded the Amnesia Collection a couple years ago when they made it the PS+ game of the month, but I've only beaten the first game (the one they say is scariest). It was certainly creepy and atmospheric, and the story was cool. I'm a huge HP Lovecraft fan, and you can tell they took a lot of inspiration from his work. But no, it didn't scare me. I'm not in a hurry to play the other two, either, since I'm honestly not a fan of games that use visibility as a mechanic. Run out of lantern fuel, and you are literally blind. You can fix that by turning up the brightness, but doesn't that kind of defeat the point?

I'd love to see the Critic review them, though. Since he loved Alien Isolation and Amnesia uses the same kind of defenseless running/hiding kind of gameplay.

Return to “Now Playing”