Einhander (PS1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Einhander (PS1)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm

So I re-reviewed Thunder Force V for the PS1 lately and was not terribly impressed by it. I was wondering how well these 3D/2D shooters were really holding up, so I tried Einhander - one of the more well regarded shooters for the PS1.

Now this is what I'm talking about. First, I love the Blade Runner scenery with all the colorful signs and ads. Next, the graphics look amazing. Most of the action is from the side, but sometimes the camera swings around to dramatic effect. This game is better than I remember. Solid rapid-fire action and I think the graphics still look impressive too.

Retro STrife

Re: Einhander (PS1)

Postby Retro STrife » May 25th, 2020, 11:33 pm

You reviewed this one in 1999, so might be good for a re-review. Funny that it was brand new then, and sounds like it's even more impressive now. In retrospect, it's probably more unique of a game than it seemed in 1999 too. I thought most shooters would go the route of Einhander (especially the bigger focus on 3D), but most of the best ones since then have stayed closer to the old school formulas.

I've always regretted not getting Einhander back when it was affordable. I got my PS1 in 1998, so I was scoping out all the game options, and ads for Einhander were in all the magazines. The graphics looked amazing, and that's what always caught my eye about the game. But there were too many other options, so I passed it up back then. It's always been pretty expensive to buy on ebay, but it's shot up even more in recent years and sells for over $100 complete.

Return to “Now Playing”