Death Stranding (PC)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Crummylion

Death Stranding (PC)

Postby Crummylion » July 24th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Initially, when I first saw gameplay of this, I was pretty skeptical but it grew on me overtime. I really don't care for the story but something about the gameplay clicks with me. Like, it's this weird mix of a casual destressor and a much more involved game as you manage inventory and are often attacked by bandits and otherworldly monsters like this tentacle lion that isn't too dissimilar to something lovecraftian. You go around carrying deliveries and creating a bond with clients and other players. A lot like MGSV, more content occurs the further you progress, except the game becomes less obstuse as it becomes easier to traverse and fight off enemies and other players *help* you on the way. Heads up, game is playable offline I think, but some key aspects (like Dark Souls) requires online connection. The music is mostly a glorified mix tape, but it's a damn good one at that. Only complaint is inventory management can get tedious at times, someone suggested notes should be taken from RE4 and I honestly agree. (PC port related note, ds4 motion control does work with the game. Honestly surprised.)
Overall, I'm liking it so far but it seems to be a game that needs an acquired taste to play.

Retro STrife

Re: Death Stranding (PC)

Postby Retro STrife » July 25th, 2020, 9:21 am

Thanks for sharing. Thoughts seem so mixed on this that I haven't decided whether to try it out someday. Some people make it sound like a boring package delivery simulator, and others make it sound like it has a strangely addictive gameplay loop. I'm a big MGS fan so that's my main draw to the game. (Then again, I haven't even played MGS V yet.. so gotta get there first.)

Voor

Postby Voor » July 25th, 2020, 3:03 pm

My brother rented this and he said it was surprisingly engaging.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2020, 7:18 pm

What does the name mean?

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » July 26th, 2020, 3:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:What does the name mean?

The game went over it in the game. It's the name of the apocalyptic event that lead to this game, why all the creatures exist, the whole stranded at the beach scene and everyone living in bunkers. Basically the strand between life and death, not just simply being stranded. They've also made it clear it's about the strand between players, all a juxtaposition to the stranding. Kojima likes the word a lot. I'm sure someone can explain it better than me, but that's my takeaway from all this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2020, 8:57 am

Oh okay. I just thought the game designer might have put a typo in the title, like Lightening Force. LOL

Return to “Now Playing”