Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)

Postby Retrology » August 6th, 2020, 3:02 am

Now I've played all three of the games Critic gave an A+ for on the 360. Bioshock and Black Ops are two of my favorite games ever, so I figured I try this out even though I've never played a game in the Tomb Raider series before.

And wow this game is sensational. There's barely any time for you to relax but that's part of the game's appeal. Non stop thrill after thrill (including parachuting through 100 mph winds and even shooting bad guys UPSIDE DOWN) plus tons of optional tombs that are fun to explore. I really like how the weapons are gradually introduced and you're always pointed in the right direction without your hand being held.

The story is really engaging too and damn does Lara go through a lot in this game or what? Anyway, It's a lot of fun killing bad guys with flame arrows and shotgun blasts, and you can even make major tweaks such as using your climbing axe as a weapon or earning scavenging points off of corpses. Pretty much everything I've seen as stood out, so there's no need to single out one as a highlight;

When I first started out, I wasn't getting it at all, but once I found Lara's crew members, that's when the game really started to pick up. Critic was correct to give this an A+, it's one of the best games I've ever played and I'm blown away by it!

Retro STrife

Re: Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)

Postby Retro STrife » August 6th, 2020, 8:15 am

You got me intrigued now Retrology.. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since beating TR III back in the PS1 days. I didn't really like that game and the awful reviews for the games after it certainly didn't draw me back. But this game.. the 2013 reboot.. obviously brought the series back from its half-dead status. Still, with so many games to play (including the Uncharted series), I never felt compelled to try the reboot games.

That changed recently, when Rise of the Tomb Raider was free on PS4. I downloaded it and have been thinking about trying it out... Now you make me wonder if I should be playing the original reboot game instead ("Tomb Raider 2013", as many fans have dubbed it online). When I google it, most people pick Rise as the best in the reboot trilogy, but TR2013 is often a close second (Shadow seems a more distant third). Most say the gameplay is improved in Rise, but some say that the story and action is better in TR2013 and makes it a better game.

Anyone played TR2013 and Rise, and have a preference? If I find time to play one, it would only be one.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 6th, 2020, 10:40 am

Retro STrife wrote:Anyone played TR2013 and Rise, and have a preference? If I find time to play one, it would only be one.

Although I think TR2013 made more of an impact, Rise of the Tomb Raider has more classic tombs to explore. TR2013 made essentially the whole game a tomb. I slightly prefer Rise of the Tomb Raider for some nods towards the PS1 titles in terms of puzzle solving and so on.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 6th, 2020, 1:17 pm

I agree. I had not played a Tomb Raider game since my PlayStation 1 days. My teenage son brought this over about 2 or 3 years ago. I was blown away. A game changer. It's almost like how resident evil 4 blew away its predecessors. Tomb Raider 2013 is just excellent and worthy of an A+

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » August 7th, 2020, 9:14 am

Retro STrife wrote:Anyone played TR2013 and Rise, and have a preference? If I find time to play one, it would only be one.

I definitely preferred Rise, but they're both great games. I personally prefer Lara's arc in 2013, and experiencing her 'origin' story. It's weird to play a Tomb Raider game with her in so much peril, struggling to survive and going through so much crap, but they do a really good job making it believable that this whole experience turns her from Lara and into Lara Croft.

I was a little disappointed that Rise didn't continue that character development. She's essentially a full on established Tomb Raider, but maybe that's part of what makes the gameplay more fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Not to toot my own horn, but my review of this is really good! It makes me want to play the game.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 7th, 2020, 3:00 pm

I normally don't get sucked into a game's story and usually only half pay attention to it, but I remember liking this one quite a bit. Even my wife, who usually has no more than a passing interest in what I'm playing, couldn't help but stop what she was doing and pay attention at times.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 10th, 2020, 8:25 am

Just saw your post in the "All the way through" topic. Good to hear that the game held up throughout the entire campaign. I ordered the PS4 version of Tomb Raider 2013 this weekend, based on our discussion here. I decided to play that one instead of Rise, because I'm hoping the origin story in TR2013 keeps the game more interesting. But you'll have to check out Rise too- consensus seems to be that the gameplay is even better.

By the way, have you played any of the Uncharted games? If so, did you prefer TR2013?

Retrology

Postby Retrology » August 12th, 2020, 2:16 am

Retro STrife wrote:By the way, have you played any of the Uncharted games? If so, did you prefer TR2013?

Unfortunately no, since I don’t have a PS3 or PS4!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 12th, 2020, 8:28 am

Retrology wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:By the way, have you played any of the Uncharted games? If so, did you prefer TR2013?

Unfortunately no, since I don’t have a PS3 or PS4!

Ah, well keep them in mind if you ever get a PS3 or PS4. I imagine that if you like TR2013, then those games would be right up your alley. I've played a few and think Uncharted 4 on PS4 is best, but Uncharted 2 is a good backup choice if you only get a PS3. I hold Uncharted in high regard so it'll be very tough for the new Tomb Raiders to top it for me, but I'll give it a fair chance.

Anyone else played both series and have a preference?

As for me, I just started TR2013 last night, but other distractions forced me to turn it off after 10 minutes. But let me say -- very impressed with that first 10 minutes and looking forward to getting back to it. I'll keep you posted.

Return to “Now Playing”