Baby Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Baby Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Here's another spectacular new homebrew from Atari Age. Baby Pac-Man plays like a turbo-charged version of the game - so fast and frantic! I love the challenge though. The graphics are arcade-like with all the visual cues like points and round ghost eyes.

But the real gimmick is the pinball mode you get to by entering certain tunnels. This is so much fun!! Plenty of stuff to shoot for, and good physics too. I like how when you reentered pinball mode you pick up right where you last left off.

This is looking like a must-have for Atari 7800 fans.

Retro STrife

Re: Baby Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Postby Retro STrife » September 4th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Very cool. This topic title threw me off at first.. I was like "wait, I thought Baby Pac-Man was just a pinball/arcade machine.. i didn't know there was a 7800 release". But I see that an ambitious homebrewer took that machine and converted it into console form. I assume this will be the first home version of Baby Pac-Man, as I haven't heard of any others before.

As for the machine it's based on (a pinball/arcade hybrid released in 1982), I've never seen a working one in person at any pinball convention or arcade, so they must be pretty rare. The main draw these days is the novelty of it, rather than the gameplay. It's kinda cool that it has an arcade monitor and a small pinball playfield, and the game switches between the two. I'd like to try it out someday if I could ever find one.

Return to “Now Playing”