Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (PS4 remake)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (PS4 remake)

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2020, 4:04 pm

What a great remake. Lights out job by Vicarious Visions, who also did the Crash Bandicoot remake. This is more impressive than the Crash remake, and I've been having a good time with it.

This game came out last Friday and I made it a day-one purchase. Very rare that I buy a game this early, but I made an exception for THPS. It was one of my favorite series back on the PS1 and I have a lot of good memories playing it with my much younger brother. (Pro tip: THPS is one of the best games for very young kids, 6 years old and younger, because they can steer the skater around and feel like they're actually playing without any real skill needed.)

Anyway, the decision to buy at $40 did not disappoint. Graphically and mechanically the game is a huge upgrade from the PS1, yet it retains every ounce of the spirit and feels like you're play those old games. It's not a landmark game like the original, but it goes above and beyond as a remake. Long time fans will immediately recognize the levels and you'll have 20-year flashbacks to where a secret tape is located or a hidden gap. For skilled players, the game adds the revert chains that came along in THPS3, allowing for huge combo scores. One problem with the original games was that I'd beat the whole game in just a weekend. Well, I've already done that with this game too.. but the developers alleviate that a bit, with over 700 extra side bonuses to pursue, the ability to level up to Level 100, and a steady drip of unlockable boards, apparel, etc. If only the original games were included as unlockables too.

The online multiplayer is one weakness of the game. Multiplayer pits 8 players together competing in a variety of short modes, but it needs more options to customize the experience. Plus, there's always one or two super-skilled players that crush everyone, so the developers need to implement a way to level the playing field. My brother also bought the game and we tried the online multiplayer together. We wish there was a way to just free skate together or compete directly against a friend or two, but you can only do that in local multiplayer. Still, I've already played 100+ of the quick online matches and it's nice to finally have a way to face real competition in a THPS game.

Overall this is a great game, with a current metascore of 89 on Metacritic. Anyone else try it out or planning to?

OzGamer

Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (PS4 remake)

Postby OzGamer » September 11th, 2020, 6:00 pm

I bought it last week, but I'm yet to play it. I've heard nothing but good things about it. After reading your post, I've decided to install it, and play later today.

Return to “Now Playing”