Double Dragon IV (Switch eShop)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
CaptainCruch

Double Dragon IV (Switch eShop)

Postby CaptainCruch » November 7th, 2020, 10:40 am

This game got some really bad reviews, but I liked it. The graphics are sharp and based on the Double Dragon 2 & 3 NES games. I especially like the new music (however, also retro tunes from the original games are available). It isn't perfect though. The controls can be a bit confusing, because every movie is assigned to a single button and it can be hard to get used to that when you played Double Dragon II on the NES a lot. Also, the enemies have a tendency to group up which is a bit annoying. Not a classic or anything, and by no means as refreshing as Double Dragon Neon, but for what it is, it's alright and enjoyable enough. C+

Voor

Re: Double Dragon IV (Switch eShop)

Postby Voor » November 8th, 2020, 10:19 am

I saw this and was tempted, but it just looks so sluggish. Simplistic, challenging gameplay I can enjoy, but bad controls? No way, Jose.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 12th, 2020, 10:59 am

Voor wrote:I saw this and was tempted, but it just looks so sluggish. Simplistic, challenging gameplay I can enjoy, but bad controls? No way, Jose.

I think you're harsh. The controls aren't bad, there are just a little bit getting used to when you're used to Double Dragon II. Also, I don't think it's sluggish at all. This game is really okay. Not great or original or anything, but a nice play for a sunday afternoon.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 12th, 2020, 11:26 am

You’re probably right. I’ll give it a shot for sure.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 16th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Bought this today because I was expecting my cousin to stop by and we've played through Double Dragon II many times. He had to cancel but I spent a little time with it beforehand to get familiar with the controls. I'm actually okay with the changes to the control scheme for the most part - special moves like the uppercut and flying knee kick are easier to perform once you get used to the new system because the timing is more forgiving and they only require a single button (the flying spin kick is a little tricky at first but will come out every time if you push the kick button at the height of your jump - otherwise you only get a regular jump kick). There is the return of the elbow punch (probably to make up for the absence of the backwards kick) and a couple of outrageous new moves that I've only triggered by accident, along with ability to do some mid-air juggling. I only played until the 5th level (levels are shorter on average than those in the NES games) but at that point I was beginning to get punished by 3-4 enemies at a time so the difficulty begins to ramp up pretty early on. I noticed I was unlocking the various enemy characters for Duel Mode as I was completing levels but I never got the chance to try it out and I wanted to save the rest of the game for a co-op run - I'll post an update afterwards.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 17th, 2020, 8:02 am

I noticed this is available on physical media for the PS4. Any chance of a Switch release in the foreseeable future? Or should I just grab the first PS4 copy I can get?

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 17th, 2020, 10:32 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I noticed this is available on physical media for the PS4. Any chance of a Switch release in the foreseeable future? Or should I just grab the first PS4 copy I can get?

I don't think a physical copy will be available for the Switch anytime soon, so you'll probably better get the PS4 version. If you don't have too high expectations, the game is alright. If you have very high expectations, you'll be disappointed.

Return to “Now Playing”