Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 23rd, 2020, 4:14 pm

This was an impulse buy after my friend at work said she was enjoying it. I've played about an hour and a half, and I'm not quite sure what I think of it so far. Its obviously trying to be Breath of the Wild with more stuff, and I love Breath of the Wild, but I'm not sure I love this. The combat is faster paced and loses the annoying weapon degradation mechanic, which is good. You can move faster and jump higher (especially since you have a double jump now) which is also good. But I feel like Ubisoft never realized that what made BotW so engaging was how NATURAL it all felt. YOU were Link, exploring and discovering this massive world and learning about it and the people in it as you went. The story was good, but it knew that you were there for the exploration and didn't shove itself down your throat very often. Immortals is much more story heavy, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but the writing is...I'll be honest, it's really bad. Zeus and Prometheus acting as the narrators is annoying because the writers clearly think these two are hilarious. They're not. At all. The story is very basic (monster tries to destroy the world, chosen hero rises to stop it) and constantly interrupts the gameplay when all I really want to do is be set loose to explore! It definitely doesn't help that the excruciatingly unfunny writing carries over there, with nearly every character blathering on and on and FREAKING ON with jokes that ARE. NOT. FUNNY.

Even so, I'm still having fun with it. We'll see how well it holds up the further I go.

Buttermancan

Re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Postby Buttermancan » December 24th, 2020, 3:58 am

I saw a side by side video comparison of this and BOTW and it's as if Ubisoft stole the game code from Nintendo then altered it's values slightly in Notepad++. Taking inspiration from others is fine but this comes across as outright theft :D

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 24th, 2020, 10:40 am

Buttermancan wrote:I saw a side by side video comparison of this and BOTW and it's as if Ubisoft stole the game code from Nintendo then altered it's values slightly in Notepad++. Taking inspiration from others is fine but this comes across as outright theft :D

I thought the same thing when I saw Genshin Impact, and Nintendo hasn't taken any action against them, so I assume Ubisoft is safe.

Return to “Now Playing”