Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2020, 11:58 am

Was just reliving my Christmas '92 with a few rounds of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. What a great game. The Chemical Plant is very imaginative, and the half-pipe bonus stages are mind blowing. The Aquatic Ruins has a beautiful elegance to them.

You'd think over the decades Sega would have topped this several times ago, but I don't think they ever did!

Zack Burner

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Postby Zack Burner » December 27th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Ah, Sonic 2, the pinnacle of the original Sonic games! I remember playing this with some good friends, the levels were all cool, the bonus stage had some nice 3D graphics (not to mention that theme gets stuck in your head!), and the inclusion of Tails, it was all great!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Was just reliving my Christmas '92 with a few rounds of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

In 1992 I asked Santa for a Bears win (They were in the middle of a 6 game losing steak when I asked) and a Sega Genesis with Sonic. Santa delivered on one of those when they beat the Steelers on December 13th, but he must have seen my report card by the time Christmas rolled around because there was certainly no Genesis under the tree.

But there is one hooked up to my CRT now and honestly from time to time I just can't get enough of Sonic.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2021, 6:45 pm

VGC, you ranked this as #4 on your 50 best games ever made. With the recent debate about there being no A+ Genesis reviews, is there any consideration to give this the bump-up? Pretty much all the other games in your Top 10 got the A+ score.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » January 13th, 2021, 5:26 am

Over time Sonic 3 & Knuckles has become my favourite game of the franchise. When I was a kid, though, I was all about Sonic 2. It’s the first game I remember being vaguely aware of pre-release hype/anticipation for.

Anyone else remember the Debug Mode cheat where you could turn yourself into objects or enemies from the level you were in and place them all over the screen?

Return to “Now Playing”