Demon's Souls (Playstation 5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Demon's Souls (Playstation 5)

Postby Herschie » January 30th, 2021, 3:28 pm

I'm always on the lookout for a good Zelda clone, especially with very little out on the PS5. I actually had decent luck with "Light Crusaders" on the Genesis. So in browsing the Playstation store I saw this game with areas that looked like Zelda locations and after reading a few reviews I figured I'd give it a whirl.

This game is so hard! And you can't set the difficulty level either. Plus the controls aren't the most intuitive ever. R3 is the equivalent of the Z button in Ocarina of Time, and that can be difficult not only to remember but to switch between enemies. And no you can't change them. Worse yet sometimes you'll miss completely even when locked on, leaving you open to a counter strike.

The graphics didn't really wow me the way I had hoped, though they're not bad. I do like how you can see the difference between materials, such as cloth and leather. The lighting is cool, though how much better than on the PS4 can be difficult to say.

Difficult games aren't always bad, but I don't like when it's difficult because of the bad controls.

BanjoPickles

Re: Demon's Souls (Playstation 5)

Postby BanjoPickles » January 31st, 2021, 9:10 pm

Stick with it! As difficult as it can be, you’ll adapt and it could end up becoming the game that gets you into the SoulsBorne games. I bought the original on PS3, and I HATED it for the longest time because I couldn’t figure out what to do and how to stop dying. Eventually, I overcame it.

It’s funny, though. I have beaten the Dark Souls trilogy, and Bloodborne, but I could never get past the next-to-last boss in Demon Souls.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 1st, 2021, 12:30 pm

Herschie wrote:This game is so hard! And you can't set the difficulty level either.

It's an RPG, you can grind levels and make the game easier.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 1st, 2021, 11:58 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
Herschie wrote:This game is so hard! And you can't set the difficulty level either.

Oh yeah! When I play Zelda, I don't just head to the Great Deku Tree. I find Rupees, a sword, a shield. Actually grinding seems to help.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 2nd, 2021, 5:32 am

Herschie wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:

Oh yeah! When I play Zelda, I don't just head to the Great Deku Tree. I find Rupees, a sword, a shield. Actually grinding seems to help.

You can also upgrade weapons with the blacksmith in the Nexus, that helps a lot.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 17th, 2021, 11:40 am

I just can't get into this game. So many other games I'd rather be playing, both new and old, so I'm afraid this was $70 down the drain. I went digital too, so I can't even get me three dollars from Gamestop!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 17th, 2021, 1:47 pm

If I had PS5 I'd offer to be summoned and hold your hand through the game. Demon's Souls is a modern classic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Fascinating thread! It reminds me of Monster Hunter. People who can get really into it love it, but to the casual observer the game just isn't very fun.

Could this be considered a design flaw??

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 17th, 2021, 10:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Fascinating thread! It reminds me of Monster Hunter. People who can get really into it love it, but to the casual observer the game just isn't very fun.

Yes and no. I'm a pretty serious gamer when it comes to MLB The Show, but to someone who doesn't play much or only passively likes baseball it's definitely not the game for them. I, however, love it, as I'm sure most of us know.

If they try to cater to casual gamers then it becomes less fun for those who really want to get into it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 18th, 2021, 12:00 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Fascinating thread! It reminds me of Monster Hunter. People who can get really into it love it, but to the casual observer the game just isn't very fun.

If we eliminated everything in a genre that non-fans hate, we wouldn't have genres anymore.

It'd be like IGN's ridiculous Double Dragon Neon review, where they gave it a 3.

Let’s address a sad truth nobody wants to hear: The brawler genre is not very good anymore. The beat-‘em-up was built on the back of arcade game design; difficulty didn’t come by design, but by consequence of clunky mechanics meant to scam kids out of more quarters. Double Dragon, much as we all love to remember it, exploited our love of games so we’d keep paying for it. Double Dragon: Neon functions in a similar way. It’s a brawler that’s too focused on amusing you with 80s flair, and it comes at the expense of worthwhile gameplay.

Return to “Now Playing”