FIFA 21 (Playstation 5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

FIFA 21 (Playstation 5)

Postby Herschie » February 21st, 2021, 5:30 am

You know with the PS5 fresh onto the market, I couldn't help but think back to the game that got me into soccer in the first place: "FIFA 06: Road to the World Cup" on the 360. As I'm sure we all recall, Madden 2006 was just awful, one of the biggest letdowns ever. So I was looking for a new game, and there wasn't much out. Even though I wasn't much into soccer, I figured I'd give FIFA a whirl.

I'm sure if I'm still playing soccer you figure that I liked the game. And I did. Though fifteen years later, Madden 21 is actually pretty good. Unlike FIFA 21, which is freaking awesome! I honestly can't stop playing this. Graphically, it's slightly sharper than the PS4, but the difference is there. The pitch looks amazing, and I love how you can adjust the wear and tear and the color of the grass. So you can make it dark green if you're playing during the spring rains, or brown if it's the dry days of August. You can even have faded football field lines as well! Though you can do all this on the PS4 version too.

And I really don't mind the upgraded graphics when it comes to Alex Morgan or Julie Ertz. Or pretty much anyone on the Brazil women's team. Those babes can play! Though I'm not too sure I sold my wife on how I was using the women's teams for competitive reasons.

Another upgrade on the PS5 version is the gameplay. I've never felt so much in control in any other game! After a few blowouts I found myself scrambling to raise the difficulty because I had such an easy time picking apart opposing defenses. You always seem to be able to get that perfect through ball, and timing is the name of the game; if you're late, you're going to be looking like a Bears quarterback with all the intercepted passes. But time it perfectly, and you have a pretty good chance of putting one into the back of the net.

On defense you're forced to be on your toes at all times since the upgraded AI makes nothing easy for you. You feel a huge sense of relief as your defender knocks away that cross at the last second, or as your goalkeeper tips one over the net after their striker got away on a break. This forces you to change your strategy, rather than just charging at whoever has the ball.

If this is just scratching the surface as to what the PS5 can do, then I'm REALLY looking forward to MLB The Show 21 on April 20th!

TheEagleXIII

Re: FIFA 21 (Playstation 5)

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 1st, 2021, 9:18 am

I'll unashamedly crap all over a lot of new games in comparison to older console generations – especially sports, and lament the lack of competition is making most of them stagnant and low-effort (not to mention how online Ultimate Team modes are leaving offline modes underdeveloped). But if one sport has benefitted most from the technological advances in video games it absolutely is football/soccer.

No sport flooded the gaming market back in the day the same way soccer games did – almost anyone could try making them, and they usually did. Going back and playing them now isn't the same as revisiting Madden/Joe Montana Football or NHL 94 - the likes of FIFA 95 rarely feel playable at all now (Sensi is still fun, though). Even the good ones still feel like playing a super advanced table football games with freedom of movement.

FIFA still has it's problems, which is why I grew kinda tired of it (that and, outside video games, I haven't been a fan of the sport for over a decade now) but the sport has never been better on a console. I also don't think it's any coincidence that it's the one sports franchise with a competitor. Pro Evo was king gameplay-wise back in early to mid-2000s - FIFA only started getting good when they copied and improved on their groundwork.

Return to “Now Playing”