Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Re: Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo)

Postby Retro STrife » February 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Always a fan of Herschie’s nostalgic backstories. It’s like reading an online baking recipe, except much more interesting.

While I had an SNES growing up, I didn’t play SMK until much much later. I wasn’t a fan of racers then, and never really became a fan of kart racers. But I did play MK64 in its day- which is really when the series took off anyway. Controversial opinion though- I think Diddy Kong Racing was the better kart racer on N64.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 25th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Herschie wrote:I'm still trying to find a good racing game on the Genesis. You'd think with the good ones out for the Master System it'd be easy. If there are any, I'm all ears since I now have that terrific Mega SD Flash Cart.

Ditto if you know of any on the Sega CD.

I think Mario Andretti Racing is pretty darn good on the Genesis. The VGC's review is spot on with my impression of it. I remember buying it at Funcoland back in about 1997. It was awesome then and still holds up pretty well now.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 27th, 2021, 5:00 am

Herschie wrote:I'm still trying to find a good racing game on the Genesis. You'd think with the good ones out for the Master System it'd be easy. If there are any, I'm all ears since I now have that terrific Mega SD Flash Cart.

Ditto if you know of any on the Sega CD.

Define "good"?

Kawasaki Superbike Challenge is a beautiful showcase of what Sega's hardware could do without any extra co-processors. ("Was that a polygon?! There must have been, like, 5 of them!") And Micro Machines, while looking nearly 8-bit, demonstrates how much fun European retrogamers were having compared to those of us who played the lower resolution Nintendo ports.

Thanks to some creative track design (the only time those words will appear on this list), it's considered an all-time classic by the sorts of people who still enjoy playing old top-down racers. (The only old top-down racing games I still enjoy all involve light cycles.)

Also, Outrun 2019 is a nostalgic look back at the world before COVID, when nobody cared if you ran your rocket powered Batmobile up and down city streets at over 600mph. It's easily worth playing just to relive those memories, and for no other reason.

Finally, there's Skitchin', which is like Road Rash, except that EA was really desperate to be liked by 90's kids. It's possibly the most Sega Genesis like game available for the Sega Genesis.

On the Sega CD, meanwhile, you can play Jaguar XJ220. Thanks to the Sega CD's built-in sprite scaling, and the color limitations required to keep those sprites scaling at full speed, this underrated racer could easily pass for an ugly MAME rom. Even today, the longplay still impresses jealous Amiga owners.

Nobody else seems to have heard of it.

Why not see for yourself what all the tepid, barely measurable hype is all about?

Also I'd like to say that I know that my reviews tend to be more about the time in which I first played and not so much about the game itself. I just assume that most of us have played the games I'm talking about, and to me it's more about the nostalgic feelings that they bring back.

It's what I like best about your reviews.

Your weed fueled rivalry with Yoshi marks the first and only time I briefly cared about mode 7 styled Mario Kart.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 1st, 2021, 9:50 am

Retro STrife wrote:Always a fan of Herschie’s nostalgic backstories. It’s like reading an online baking recipe, except much more interesting.

Haha, online baking recipe? Well I definitely try to keep it nice and interesting. Always appreciate the kind words!

Breaker wrote:I think Mario Andretti Racing is pretty darn good on the Genesis. The VGC's review is spot on with my impression of it. I remember buying it at Funcoland back in about 1997. It was awesome then and still holds up pretty well now.

Will definitely have to play after the Cubs. I found another great rave mix to play to, this one from 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqxQ9pm_dGs&

And if anyone is interested, here's the one from 1992: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtdfZbMCYT8

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Your weed fueled rivalry with Yoshi marks the first and only time I briefly cared about mode 7 styled Mario Kart.

I had some great times beating up on Yoshi when I was all strung out. Sadly, those good times with have to be had sober nowadays. It's been three weeks since I've had any controlled substance, but I do feel great. And I'm still enjoying that Mode 7 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Now Playing”