Crypt Killer (PS1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Zack Burner

Crypt Killer (PS1)

Postby Zack Burner » March 5th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Although the House of the Dead series has always been my go to arcade shooter for a while, I hearby declare this game my all-time favorite arcade shooter after many playthroughs thanks to a website called PS1Fun. What makes this my favorite? Despite the dated graphics, the music is awesome, the enemies are wide, varied and creative (especially the 6 bosses), the special weapons you can acquire are cool (my favorites are the Gatling Gun and the Grenade Launcher), and the best part? The replayability is through the roof! You can choose your routes infinitely, and even better is you get 4 different endings, one where you acquire normal treasure, a bad ending where you are killed by the bosses, one where you discover is was a movie all along, and my favorite, the golden ending where you acquire a legendary sword. I won't tell you how to acquire which, you'll have to find out for yourself. I love the bosses, my favorites are the Hydra, Medusa, and the Hindu God Statue (Called Nemesis if anyone saw the flyer for the arcade game). Something tells me these bosses were the inspirations for the bosses of the HOTD series and here's my chart:
Fire Gargoyle - Chariot (HOTD 1): since both are very easy
Sphinx - Hermit (HOTD 1): They both move fast and can be a little hard to hit and both use projectiles (Sphinx throws claws at you, hermit shoots web balls and are of medium dificulty
Pharaoh Head - Magician (both games): both are hard, spin around, and launch fireballs
Hydra - Tower (HOTD 2): Both are multiheaded, but Tower is easy compared to the freneticness of Hydra plus Hydra spits ice crystals at you.
Medusa - Hierophant (HOTD 2): Both rely on their respective animals to attack plus both have high attacks and are of medium difficulty
Nemesis - Emperor (HOTD 2): Both are very hard and have difficult attacks to stop, plus they change attack patterns constantly.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Crypt Killer (PS1)

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 5th, 2021, 6:39 pm

It was my fave as well. Well worth a game is the Judge dredd light gun game as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2021, 10:16 am

Ah yes I loved this game. It was really my first chance to indulge in some light gun action and I used it as an excuse to buy two PS1 light guns (which really weren't very good by the way).

Loved the style of the game with the multitudes of mythical creatures. The only time it faltered was when it tried to incorporate some 3D polygon elements. They looked like crap and slowed the game down.

I also recall this was one of those games where you need to shoot a boss about a 1000 times to kill it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2021, 10:17 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:It was my fave as well. Well worth a game is the Judge dredd light gun game as well.

Was the Dredd light gun game ever released for home consoles?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 6th, 2021, 10:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Ah yes I loved this game. It was really my first chance to indulge in some light gun action and I used it as an excuse to buy two PS1 light guns (which really weren't very good by the way).

Loved the style of the game with the multitudes of mythical creatures. The only time it faltered was when it tried to incorporate some 3D polygon elements. They looked like crap and slowed the game down.

I also recall this was one of those games where you need to shoot a boss about a 1000 times to kill it.

Oh yes, the style of this game makes you feel like you're in a Ray Harryhausen movie! The skeletons and Hydra from Jason and the Argonauts, Medusa from Clash of the Titans, and the Hindu God Statue from Golden Voyage of Sinbad. I even loved that one of the endings shows you were in a movie, nice touch.

zetax

Postby zetax » March 6th, 2021, 10:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:It was my fave as well. Well worth a game is the Judge dredd light gun game as well.

PS1 in North America, at least...
photostudio_1615050254678.jpg
photostudio_1615050254678.jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Prerendered backgrounds, plays a lot like Area 51 but less precise and sort of janky.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm

zetax wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:

PS1 in North America, at least...
photostudio_1615050254678.jpg

Prerendered backgrounds, plays a lot like Area 51 but less precise and sort of janky.

I like Judge Dredd so I might be biased. I seem to remember the calibration was not great. Yes it was a ps1 only game. I seem to remember it was fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2021, 1:28 pm

As much as I love Area 51, I cannot WAIT to try Judge Dredd! Another game I never knew existed! Thanks for the tip guys.

Return to “Now Playing”