Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox, 2003)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox, 2003)

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Any fans of the Panzer Dragoon series of shooters? Panzer Dragoon Saga is my all-time favorite RPG, maybe even my all-time favorite game, but I've never had the same feeling for the rail shooters. Panzer Dragoon came with my Saturn set when I bought it on Ebay around 2001. I played it for a few minutes, had no clue what was happening, and moved on. I tried it another time or two, and still couldn't get into it. I also have Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, but I never played it more than a few minutes.

Still, as a fan of Saga, I decided to buy Panzer Dragoon Orta in 2011 for the whooping price of $5 + shipping (thanks Amazon for your lifetime searchable order history!). A complete copy is now closer to $45, for the price trackers out there. Along with the price, I'm sure the excellent reviews helped inspire me to grab it (90% on Metacritic; A- from VGC), despite my reservations about the prior PD games.

Anyway, I'm finally playing through it and I'm really impressed by this game. I played the tutorial and finally understand the gameplay. Other than the prior PD games, it most reminds me of Rez with a bit of Space Harrier mixed in. It's challenging, and best played on easy, but I'm over halfway through and hope to play the entire story, which isn't all that long. Now I want to revisit the Saturn shooters too. But really, most of all, it is making me want to boot up Panzer Dragoon Saga for the first time since 2003.

Return to “Now Playing”