Baseball (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Baseball (NES)

Postby Herschie » April 18th, 2021, 2:11 pm

This is Baseball on the NES, part of their Black Box series. It's about as simple as it can get, but my friends and I had fun. And with MLB The Show on PS5 coming out Thursday, I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane to help me better appreciate what we have now. My father bought it for me when he bought my NES back in 1988.

So one day we're playing and he is absolutely kicking my butt. Imagine God made Chris Volstad, Danny Jackson, and Dave Smith rolled into one and put that pitcher on the mound that day. My lineup was all Rick Wronas and Gary Scotts. It was brutal! He remarked that I should bring in a new pitcher. Not realizing the concept of a joke (or how to tie my shoe) I spent the next two days trying to figure out how to bring in Frank DiPino or Calvin Schiraldi. I think my mom told me they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary.

Fast forward to August and there's a commercial with Andre Dawson advertising the first night game at Wrigley Field. So there I am, this low watt bulb of a kid turning down the brightness on my TV to simulate night baseball. My mom had this worried expression as she explained that the Cubs would have lights. She couldn't believe she was raising a kid who actually thought they were going to play in the dark.

I think I finally learned to tie my shoes that fall and my mom rewarded me by buying me Bases Loaded.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Baseball (NES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2021, 2:22 pm

As I've been reformatted my reviews I've been noting reviews that need to be revised because they are just too short and/or not descriptive enough. The list is getting big! Baseball for the NES is one of those games.

Herschie

Re: Baseball (NES)

Postby Herschie » April 18th, 2021, 2:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:As I've been reformatted my reviews I've been noting reviews that need to be revised because they are just too short and/or not descriptive enough. The list is getting big! Baseball for the NES is one of those games.

I disagree. Your reviews are perfect. Just a few paragraphs are all that's needed. When I write a review I like to relate it to something that happened in my life around the time I first played it.

Return to “Now Playing”