Nier: Replicant

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven

Re: Nier: Replicant

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

Nier Automata is easily one of my favorite games on the PS4. That said, I don't think it's for everybody. Sure on the surface it seems like your standard Square Enix/Platinum Games action hack n slash-a-thon. While the core combat and gameplay loop is a very solid action game, the presentation, themes, and story are REALLY out there. If the game doesn't hook and you don't buy into what it's selling I could see it falling flat.

The only other game that really comes close to delivering a similar feeling via it's story and how the game's creator treats the player is Metal Gear Solid 2. Both are games that use an interactive medium to do wild and strange things to tell its stories. It's not a 1 to 1 fit, but I find both games are pretty polarizing. Get ready for preachy/weighty topics and fairly "out there" concepts.

I couldn't get enough and found my play through of Nier: Automata absolutely fascinating. Still, I've had friends tell me they absolutely hated it. Definitely a "your milage may vary" kind of experience.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 18th, 2021, 3:05 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:If the game doesn't hook and you don't buy into what it's selling I could see it falling flat... Definitely a "your milage may vary" kind of experience.

You have summed up my feelings on this series perfectly. I take nothing away from people that like the Nier series, but me, I just couldn't get into it.

My biggest gripe? The character designs. I get that most media franchises are meant to expand beyond more than just one medium, and in Japan, many games nowadays are designed to also sell figures, soundtracks, and other forms of merch. Same with Anime. While I get that Automata, in particular, is viewed as a well-constructed action game, I just can't get around the designs of the main characters. Nothing screams "JAPAN!" more to me than a main character, who is supposed to be some sort of robot warrior from the future, prancing around in a maid outfit.

It's not the first time I've seen this. Phantasy Star Online, 20 years ago, had a NPC character named Elenor, who was an android warrior in a pink maid outfit. And, yes, there were figures made out of it. "Segggggg-aaaaaaa"

Not only does it seem impractical, but I just can't shake the feeling that the Automata character in particular looks the way it does just so that the 14-24 target demographic will be drawn in by the design. "Hey, kids, boobs!" It just feels cheap to me. Not to mention the fact that my first exposure to the Nier series was seeing some kinky fan art / cosplay of the Automata characters, which popped up *first* on a search engine when I was looking to do some more reading about the game and the series. :shock:

It really made me feel old. I just sort of shook my head and asked myself, "What am I even looking at here??"

In general, I try not to let fanbases ruin something for me before I get a chance to try it for myself - particularly the very, very small corners of a fanbase that don't represent players at large. But in this case, well... first impressions speak volumes.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 18th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Retro STrife wrote:If I only play one, is Nier Automata still my best bet?

Yes, probably. You can play Automata without knowing anything about Nier. Of course if you played the original Nier you would recognize some of the characters who lived several thousand years after the events of Nier. Emil, Popola, and Devola make their appearance in Automata. I recommend play both Nier and Nier Automata. Neither are particularly big games, for RPG's, at least contemporary ones, they are miniature in comparison to some to of the behemoths in the genre.

Retro STrife wrote:But I've heard "Nier Automata is one of the best games I've ever played" from a few people on the forums.

I agree with JWK that this is one of the great games of this generation. If I were to draw a top 20 list of best games I ever played Automata would have a spot somewhere in there. There are times I feel it might be the greatest game this generation and perhaps of all time but then I say that about any game I really like and reminisce about.

Retro STrife wrote:This series would have completely flown under my radar if not for the praise from you guys here.

Automata is very much a title where the whole is far greater than the sum of it's parts. As RPG's go, it is pretty weak. As Action hack n slash games go, it is not particularly strong with very basic move sets and limited combos. On these fronts, it is remarkably average, if not below average, but it keeps you entertained enough to keep going. This game transcends it's flaws. Once the revelations unfold when you complete the third ending, you will quickly go for the fifth ending (although to get it that shooting game is unbelievably difficult), and your save data is then erased. You will promptly go for a second full run, no questions asked. It is one of those games. The soundtrack is magnificent, some of the songs sound like they are being sung by a child. Not surprised this is one of those love it or hate it titles. You either get it... or you do not. For a nihilist this game would be as close as you could get to a spiritual experience.

Return to “Now Playing”