Nier: Replicant

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Nier: Replicant

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 16th, 2021, 9:50 am

Being a fan of the original Nier, this remake is both true to the original, and also not. The scaled up graphics are beautiful, and the simplistic action platformer combat is a refreshing change of pace from the other games I've been playing. The one thing I don't understand is why they changed the main character. Instead of playing as Yonah's muscle bound, battle scarred, awesome looking father, you play as her pretty teenage sis...THAT'S HER BROTHER?!

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Nier: Replicant

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 18th, 2021, 8:32 am

The brother was the original character from the Japanese release. I believe the haggard old dude was created specially for Western audiences. I'm glad it's back to the brother as now we can experience both versions of this amazing game.

It's funny because I remember a huge complaint about Nier when it first came out was that the Dad was one of the ugliest videogame protagonists.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 18th, 2021, 9:03 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:The brother was the original character from the Japanese release. I believe the haggard old dude was created specially for Western audiences. I'm glad it's back to the brother as now we can experience both versions of this amazing game.

It's funny because I remember a huge complaint about Nier when it first came out was that the Dad was one of the ugliest videogame protagonists.

I know, I just couldn't resist the joke. I still like the dad better though. The way the brother and sister talk is almost romantic, which is creepy. The dad's determination to save his daughter is way more believable, and the brother looks so utterly unthreatening that I'm having a hard time taking him seriously — much less an entire village of people who apparently need this 12 year old boy to do everything for them.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 18th, 2021, 9:30 am

I hear ya. I liked the Dad too. It was such a weirdo character design, but I felt like it made the game standout.

Plus, my wife NEVER got tired of my one word impersonations of him. "HEY".

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 18th, 2021, 7:58 pm

How hard would it be to include both protagonists?

It'd be extra replay value for both American and Japanese gamers.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 20th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Played the original Nier. Good game. Downloading this one on Steam the moment I sign out.

Nier Automata, the sequel, in my opinion is the greatest game of this generation and possibly all time.

Astonishing the developers started off with the Drakengard series and evolved to this.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 20th, 2021, 9:21 pm

DrLitch wrote:Astonishing the developers started off with the Drakengard series and evolved to this.

I've wanted to play Drakengard ever since I learned it was a prequel to Nier, but it looks like the only way is to get it on PS2.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 13th, 2021, 11:20 pm

I am playing Nier Replicant right now. It is better than I remember and I forgot how good the soundtrack was. Definitely one of the better action RPG's I have played.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 18th, 2021, 12:49 am

If I only play one, is Nier Automata still my best bet? This series would have completely flown under my radar if not for the praise from you guys here. But I've heard "Nier Automata is one of the best games I've ever played" from a few people on the forums. And it's members who I notice I have similar gaming tastes with. A few of the guys in this thread, and JWK being another. So despite a hefty backlog, Nier Automata is very near the top of my must-play list. Can't say it'll be soon, but it will happen.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 18th, 2021, 7:40 am

I'm not a big fan of twitchy Devil May Cry-style fighters, so I like the first Nier better than Automata. But I'm in the minority there, so take that how you will.

Return to “Now Playing”