Golden Axe (arcade)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Re: Golden Axe (arcade)

Postby DrLitch » May 20th, 2021, 9:06 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:It's the use of background tiles for sprites.

Clever people and clever solutions, genius workaround. I appreciate the port more. I mean the game is choppy but not unplayable. In stills one could easily could confuse that for a SNES or Genesis title. I am also more certain now the Master System puts more colors on screen than the NES.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 20th, 2021, 9:36 pm

DrLitch wrote:I am also more certain now the Master System puts more colors on screen than the NES.

Usually. But not when using backgrounds for sprites. The Master System ends up with just 16, to the Famicom's 13 for backgrounds (4 for 4 palettes. One color in each must mirror a color in the first palette) + 12 for sprites. (One color in each palette is transparent, for stacking.)

Usually, the Master System can make each sprite up to 16 colors, which really hides the limitations.

Still, with clever palette usage, like the Tyrus Flare hack, you can get away with atmosphere by investing heavily in similar colors with stand-out highlights. Unfortunately, this sort of puzzle work was probably beyond most of Sega's artists at the time.

Just look at this mess.

"The important thing, is that the zombies wear purple. I am willing to walk through a mile of grape jelly to get that purple. What do you mean we don't have any background tile data left for the actual backgrounds? Shrink the zombies! No, not that far! Maybe we can make our backround details with smaller tiles? Lots smaller. Excellent. There are pixels everywhere. This is so realistic."

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 23rd, 2021, 8:15 pm

One of my favorite stages besides the final stage where you duel Death Adder, is the 3rd stage from Turtle Village to Fiend's Path where you can acquire a red dragon, my favorite steed. Do it correctly, and you're unstoppable and can emerge unscathed. As to how I defeat Death Adder, I use Ax Battler's powerful back spin slash attack or Tyris's dash kick to do the job.

Wehrwolf

Postby Wehrwolf » May 24th, 2021, 7:29 pm

The Astro City mini (arcade cab preloaded mini console) in Japan includes both the original Golden Axe and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder:

https://sega.jp/astrocitymini/

Return to “Now Playing”