The Last of Us 2

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
red_curry_paste

The Last of Us 2

Postby red_curry_paste » May 18th, 2021, 10:58 am

I apologize if there's already a thread on this - I tried to search for it, but didn't get any results. Minor spoilers below.

My folks bought me The Last of Us 2 for Christmas, and I finally finished it. I had been looking forward to it for years before it came out, but because I was out of work last year, I wasn't able to pick it up when it came out.

That said, I couldn't wait to get into it. My expectations were quite high, as the first one was absolutely stellar. I also wasn't sure what to expect, because I had heard that certain aspects of the game prompted backlash on the internet (I didn't read too much into it, though, because of spoilers).

In the end, though, I can say that it's a beautiful game. Some might disagree with the story direction, but I found it a compelling study of sorrow, rage, revenge, obsession, and ultimately love. Just as the first game ended on a question of morality - was Joel justified in his actions? - the second prompts you to wonder whether Ellie's pursuit of revenge turned her into the villain. The game wades through several shades of gray, and I think the decision to switch between Ellie and Abby makes for a gripping examination of what it means to be human (albeit after the apocalypse)

All that aside, the gameplay itself is excellent. They finely tuned the mechanics from the first game, and added just enough - it's neither too familiar nor too radical a departure. There's more variety in how you can approach encounters, which is good considering the sheer length of the game. The graphics are arguably the best on the PS4, and it the art direction is awesome - certain locations inspire awe, while others are anxious and nerve-wracking.

I have a few minor quibbles - the narrative structure can feel just a tad herky jerky at times - but in no way do they detract from what is overall an excellent game. Would love to hear how others felt about it.

DrLitch

Re: The Last of Us 2

Postby DrLitch » May 20th, 2021, 9:03 pm

I view The Last of Us 2 in a similar manner to Game of Thrones. I had expectations for a certain story/outcome and neither manifested. Thus disappointment. Without expectation Last of Us 2 is largely well done but a little too graphic for me in places. Definitely not a game I would play with kids.

red_curry_paste

Re: The Last of Us 2

Postby red_curry_paste » May 21st, 2021, 12:21 pm

I get that. It definitely took things in a different direction, and I can see how some fans might not like that. I loved it, though.

Return to “Now Playing”