Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS/PSP)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gentlegamer

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS/PSP)

Postby Gentlegamer » May 25th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I recently turned my attention to various handhelds, loading up flashcart or SD card to try out multiple games and bypass the 'collector' market.

The first on my list was a game I had heard good things about going back several years: Puzzle Quest. It's a match-three gems game like Bejeweled with an RPG overlay. 'Combat' scenarios play out with opponents using the same 'bejeweled' board. Your character (and opponent) gains different mana types (fire/water/air/earth) from matching corresponding gems and uses it to activate various spells to protect from or damage the opponent, as well as matching three skulls to inflict direct damage.

Your character gains golds and experience enabling him to acquire more abilities, including upgrading citadels, where you can send captured enemies to your dungeon and then use the wizard tower to research any of its abilities/spells to add to your own repertoire, for example.

I'm playing on both DS and PSP, each with a different character class. The PSP has far superior graphics, but the stylus control on DS is perfectly suited to this type of game. The series continued with several sequels on DS (and PC/IOS/Android).

It's an excellent genre-mashup of puzzle and RPG, even though it could be reduced to 'Bejeweled with Mana.' Surprisingly addictive!

Return to “Now Playing”