Blue Lightning (Jaguar CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Blue Lightning (Jaguar CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm

I am in the process of re-reviewing this game, having reviewed it Lynx cousin a few weeks back.

On thing really sticks out on the title screen:
Epyx 1989
Atari 1995

So this game was made in 1989? And it was released as the pack-in for a 1995 video game system?? What's wrong with this picture?

Retro STrife

Re: Blue Lightning (Jaguar CD)

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2021, 2:36 am

Always looking forward to new Jag CD reviews, even re-reviews. I think the dates just mean that Epyx owns a copyright to the Blue Lightning IP, and their copyright is dated 1989, since they released their Lynx game in 1989. The latter 1995 date is Atari's copyright for the Jag CD game.

Some relevant background from Wikipedia: "In 1993, Atari requested several Epyx titles in order to be converted and release to the then-upcoming Atari Jaguar, with Blue Lightning among the list of selected titles to be remade. A year later, Blue Lightning 2 was announced for the Jaguar CD and became one of the first titles announced for the then-upcoming add-on, however it was later retitled to its original name during Autumn ECTS '94, where it was revealed that Cybermorph developer Attention to Detail were the ones developing the project."

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm

I've been really curious about this one for a while, having beaten the Lynx game not too long ago. I'll have to fire it up, though Jaguar CD support on the GameDrive (the flash cart for the Jaguar) is still a work in progress.

By the way, Critic, do you own the cartridge version of Hover Strike? That's one of the only Jaguar releases you haven't reviewed, and it's a distinct game from the CD version, Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands.

One review says the CD version is a "pretty much a carbon copy, with the exception of some new textures, FMV, improved music, and some new levels", but I think they also made some significant changes to the controls, and maybe more than that.

Mind you the CD version is said to be a lot better, though I enjoyed the cart version for what it was.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2021, 11:45 am

No I don't have the cartridge version, but you're not making much of a case for me getting it! LOL

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 7th, 2021, 1:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I am in the process of re-reviewing this game, having reviewed it Lynx cousin a few weeks back.

On thing really sticks out on the title screen:
Epyx 1989
Atari 1995

So this game was made in 1989? And it was released as the pack-in for a 1995 video game system?? What's wrong with this picture?

I think it's meant to be a remake of the Lynx original.

I keep forgetting how much better the Lynx version looks...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 7th, 2021, 3:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:No I don't have the cartridge version, but you're not making much of a case for me getting it! LOL

Ha, I'm quite sure you'll like it less than the CD version! Too bad you don't have it, since you're otherwise so close to a complete Jaguar review set and another set of steak knives. Hover Strike is one of the cheaper Jag games but none of them is that cheap anymore. Maybe a reader can lend it to you?

Return to “Now Playing”