The Messenger (PC)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Crummylion

The Messenger (PC)

Postby Crummylion » August 10th, 2021, 2:34 am

This thread is gonna include minor gameplay spoilers. Hard to say if it's spoilers since I'm discussing mechanics introduced couple hours into the game, but putting it out there anyways.

Wanted to give it a shot because it seemed like the metroidvania game I needed to play, plus it was free on Epic Games when I got it. It's literally just Ninja Gaiden with said metroidvania level design, hell, the original devs even played the game or composed a couple tracks. First thing that comes to mind when playing Ninja Gaiden personally is story, and The Messenger does not take itself seriously at all. At some points I chuckled, but I groaned for the most part. Part of me wants to say I'm just tired of self-aware and referential humor and writing, but I swear the writing is nothing more than supplementary, less than Ninja Gaiden I mean. I mean, I just saw The Suicide Squad, a film that's cocky but endearing in nature, so I know the writing wasn't priority. But whatever, apples to oranges. Another point of comparison would easily be gameplay. Yeah, it's not punishing at all, but it's definitely challenging. The most you get punished when dying is you can't collect the game's currency to upgrade for a little time. This isn't really anything like Dark Souls where dying takes away certain stats or take your currency away. I don't really see dying with little to no penalty as "punishing." Oh yeah, I beaten the final boss of Cuphead and it took me a million consecutive tries to do it. The game says so with its counter. So punishing Can't say there's incentive to do better other than, well, wanting to do better. You do get more abilities as you play and you're encouraged to use them to progress. It even feels rewarding to use these abilities as what feels like exploits on bosses. They even become useful later when the game becomes a metroidvania game. Yeah, that's the spoiler in the quick review, it's secretly a metroidvania game. Not sure how much of a secret that was since I already knew that part. You start off playing linear stages with vague implications that it's exploration based when hunting for collectable, but you're encouraged to explore more once you beaten all the levels. I admittedly have a soft spot for that type of level design. Makes you familiar with the world only to explore more part undiscovered. One thing I usually enjoy in a video game is the music, but for once I found this game's music grating. So much so that I actually turned the music down so I could listen to Celeste's OST instead. Not the worst thing ever since I know there's at least one or two tracks I liked, but I'm alone on this opinion.
Anyways, it's a video game, a good one. Nothing with a grand story or soundtrack I'd download on my phone, but something I at least have fun playing and will be playing some more of. Still need to see how the metroidvania part hold up, so I'll report back when I can.

DrLitch

Re: The Messenger (PC)

Postby DrLitch » August 11th, 2021, 11:10 am

Thanks for reporting, definitely a title I never knew existed. Sadly on Steam it is $20 but I will check out Epic. I am always game for a Vania style title to sink a few hours in. I have been playing Environmental Station Alpha lately, an 8 bit Metroid Fusion type title that is far more nonlinear and thus, Metroidvania like. I will create a thread once I consolidate my thoughts on it to alert folks here it might be a game worth checking out, particularly when it goes on sale for like $2.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » August 13th, 2021, 11:09 pm

DrLitch wrote:Thanks for reporting, definitely a title I never knew existed. Sadly on Steam it is $20 but I will check out Epic. I am always game for a Vania style title to sink a few hours in. I have been playing Environmental Station Alpha lately, an 8 bit Metroid Fusion type title that is far more nonlinear and thus, Metroidvania like. I will create a thread once I consolidate my thoughts on it to alert folks here it might be a game worth checking out, particularly when it goes on sale for like $2.

Should have pointed out I got it for free maybe a year ago, so obviously it's not free any more. But who knows, I saw Minit available for free a week ago when I netted it on the same platform couple years ago. Haven't played the game much since due to a power outage hitting the house, did use that time to play Samurai Jack on the Nintendo Switch though. Might write a review or jot down my thoughts on that as well when I find the time.

Will keep an eye out on for that thread of yours and at least play the demo since it exists. Looks cute.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 21st, 2023, 12:02 pm

I bought this on PSN for 4.99 a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the more traditional, linear platform/action stuff that makes up the first part of the game. The boss fights are fun, the music is catchy, the humor is hit-or-miss (the quips by the demon that saves your life are fun at first), the movement mechanics are satisfying to string together and can get you out of just about any jam, there's a clear difficulty curve...so far so good. I was disappointed that the transition from 8-bit to 16-bit wasn't more dramatic but it was cool at least to hear the Genesis/Megadrive sound font.

Then I get to the Metroidvania part and I lost all will to continue playing. Maybe I will come back to it but it feels like mop-up duty rather than exploration and discovery to me.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 22nd, 2023, 12:25 am

velcrozombie wrote:Then I get to the Metroidvania part and I lost all will to continue playing. Maybe I will come back to it but it feels like mop-up duty rather than exploration and discovery to me.

Ah yes, I forgot about this thread and the supposed long-winded review I was going to write once I finished the game. Never happened, despite beating the game. Although I did mention my overall feelings in passing in another thread. I believe I was at a point where I was dreading the game and wanting it to end. Getting the last few items became tedious, obtuse and frankly frustrating. It just overstayed its welcome, really

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 22nd, 2023, 8:00 pm

I did play this one quite a while ago and liked it. I agree that the nonlinear parts could have been designed better. Overall a B tier title.

The soundtrack was nothing special and is probably the worst part of the game for me.

It is definitely worth a pickup on a sale. What it is not worth is the price for a physical copy running a couple of hundred on the Switch.

Return to “Now Playing”