Metroid Dread (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Metroid Dread (Switch)

Postby Voor » October 13th, 2021, 8:46 pm

It’s a big reason why I rent games before buying. You can imagine how much it sucks to buy a $50 game, only to realize 20 mins in that it’s unplayable for you.

It’s so weird. I had NO issues with Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. But strangers Wrath and knockout City put me down quick. Rocket League is totally fine, but I played with someone else’s camera settings and I could tell it wasn’t going to work.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Voor wrote:It’s a big reason why I rent games before buying. You can imagine how much it sucks to buy a $50 game, only to realize 20 mins in that it’s unplayable for you.

Yeah I'm sorry to hear that happens. I myself got sick with the original Prime but ever since I turned off HUD lag I'm fine. But games like Doom and Wofenstein always make me sick.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 15th, 2021, 11:04 pm

A minor update to my motion sickness misadventures - now I have to contend with bright flashing lights!

No spoilers, but there's an area later in the game that takes place in a stormy environment, with a few of the rooms exposed to the elements outside. There's flashes of lightning that happen a bit too frequently for my liking, and are made worse by the fact that I tend to play the game at night, in darkness.

I was already feeling a bit woosy after an extended play session, then BAM, I hit the lightning room. Instant headache. I squinted my way through and went back to a save room, and haven't played the game since.

...Which bites, as I do really, really like the game! But I feel like it just does so many things to me to keep me from playing it. I've racked up about 10 hours over 8 days of playing, and I'm currently at 89% of items found, with some good ideas of where the rest are hiding.

I'm having a great time exploring the planet when I'm not dizzy or having a flash-induced migraine... but, wow. I had no idea I would have this level of difficulty simply attempting to play the game. I'm happy to see it through, but once it wraps up, I think I'm putting it back on the shelf and leaving it alone for a while.

Voor wrote:You can imagine how much it sucks to buy a $50 game, only to realize... it’s unplayable for you.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, fella :|

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 16th, 2021, 1:00 pm

That's weird to say the least. Have you tried it docked to see if it's the screen that's causing the problem?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 16th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Matchstick wrote:A minor update to my motion sickness misadventures - now I have to contend with bright flashing lights!

No spoilers, but there's an area later in the game that takes place in a stormy environment, with a few of the rooms exposed to the elements outside. There's flashes of lightning that happen a bit too frequently for my liking, and are made worse by the fact that I tend to play the game at night, in darkness.

I was already feeling a bit woosy after an extended play session, then BAM, I hit the lightning room. Instant headache. I squinted my way through and went back to a save room, and haven't played the game since.

...Which bites, as I do really, really like the game! But I feel like it just does so many things to me to keep me from playing it. I've racked up about 10 hours over 8 days of playing, and I'm currently at 89% of items found, with some good ideas of where the rest are hiding.

I'm having a great time exploring the planet when I'm not dizzy or having a flash-induced migraine... but, wow. I had no idea I would have this level of difficulty simply attempting to play the game. I'm happy to see it through, but once it wraps up, I think I'm putting it back on the shelf and leaving it alone for a while.

Voor wrote:You can imagine how much it sucks to buy a $50 game, only to realize... it’s unplayable for you.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, fella :|

No spoilers, but one of the last areas is like that storm area, only MUCH worse...

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2021, 7:35 pm

ActRaiser wrote:That's weird to say the least. Have you tried it docked to see if it's the screen that's causing the problem?

I've thought about this, too. So far, I've exclusively played the game docked and hooked up to my TV. I was wondering if this was making the problem worse (bigger screen = bigger flashes) but I didn't want to play through the game for the first time on the handheld screen.

I will say, I love how the Switch lets you adjust the screen brightness on the fly when you play in handheld mode. Just hold down the "Home" button for a few seconds to get a brightness slider to show up. I use it often when I play away from my TV.

MSR1701 wrote:No spoilers, but one of the last areas is like that storm area, only MUCH worse...

Heh, I kind of had a feeling there would be some sort of "big finish" at the end. If it's like most other Metroid games, there'll be some sort of countdown sequence entailing a mad dash back to the ship. I am wholeheartedly expecting it, in fact :D

As it stands, I'm saved right before the last boss. I tried the fight once or twice to get a feel for it, but wasn't in the right frame of mind for a boss fight. Maybe I'll try it again tonight.

The wife had a great suggestion yesterday - Dramamine. It sounds ridiculous to me to have to take pills for motion sickness before I play a video game, but, well, here we are. I've already made concessions in my playtime and choice of eyewear, so why not add some over-the-counter medication to the list??

Honestly, guys, I'm so over it. I feel like such an idiot trying to play this game now. Once I'm done with it, I'm probably just going to get rid of it. It's not worth all the hassle. It stings even worse as 1) I am a huuuuuuge fan of the Metroid series, and 2) I bought the Special Edition. Two of them, in fact, as I posted about on the Special Edition forum.

Granted, I'm not the only person to buy a limited edition of a game before they've played it, but man, isn't that just the worst, to be out all that money on a game you thought for sure you'd like, then be stuck with all the extras and whatnot when you find out that you can't play it? Way to rub it in!

I do like the game. I just can't play it. Might as well be water polo, at this point...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 16th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Don't push yourself too far. If you are at the "Final Boss," take him in bursts with breaks. As in Samus Returns 3DS, you take a TON of damage from him, and have several points requiring Counter attacks to proceed/finish a round (stupid Proteous Ridley fight in Samus Returns...).

It IS a good wrap up, and overall I enjoyed the game, though I am taking a LOOONG break before revisiting Dread.

Come to think of it, after I beat Samus Returns, I haven't replayed it... hope this isn't a trend with Metroid games... used to replay these like crazy.

::goes back to Castlevania Advance Collection::

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 16th, 2021, 8:00 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Come to think of it, after I beat Samus Returns, I haven't replayed it... hope this isn't a trend with Metroid games... used to replay these like crazy.

I've been playing plenty of Prime and even the original lately.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 16th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Herschie wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:

I've been playing plenty of Prime and even the original lately.

And hoping beyond hope Prime 1 n 2 hit Switch in some form (from what the devs say of Prime 3, the only way to get that onto the Switch is to completely rebuild the game from the ground up due to the motion control programming).

Prime 4 for 2023!!!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Still no gameplay updates on my end... but I'm loving seeing the conversations here :D

So far, the only mainline Metroid game I've never replayed is Fusion. I know it's beloved by many, but it just didn't click with me. At all. I had no interest in replaying a Metroid game that forces you down the same path every time you play it.

Conversely, I would love to be able to replay Dread! I'm reading so much about sequence breaking and different ways of beating bosses - and ways of skipping some bosses, altogether. I was wondering how anyone would be able to beat the game in less than 4 hours to get the best endings and, well, now I know. I just wish there were a legit strategy guide I could study up on before playing through again.

Of course, this is all moot if I keep feeling sick after each and every play session I have.

I think I will attempt a second playthrough in handheld mode, and see if that makes a difference with all the dizzy spells and headaches I've had. But it will be a bit before I get around to it. First off, I still have to beat the game once! We'll see when / if I feel up to it.

I've beaten all three Prime games back in the day, the first two more than once. Of the three, I like Prime 2 the best. I especially like being able to sequence break the beginning of the game, which allows you to keep all of the items you start the game with and explore the game completely out-of-order. However, this isn't baked-in like it is with Dread and other Metroid games, as it requires glitches and perfect timing to make it all work.

But being able to pull it off - and not having to mess with the Dark Suit, or finding pickups like the Bombs and Boost Ball - makes each new playthrough so fresh and exciting.

Personally, I don't care if we ever get a Prime 4 or not. I'm happy with what we already have.

That, and I barely remember Prime 3, aside from the Mother Brain-ish boss at the end and the way that Samus gradually becomes more "corrupted" as the game goes on. Seeing the glowing eyes in her visor staring back at you was unsettling - and totally rad.

Plus, the whole series is all wrapped up, right? Right?? I just feel like asking for a Metroid Prime 4 is like asking for a Star Wars Episode 7. Be careful what you wish for...

Return to “Now Playing”