Metroid Dread (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Metroid Dread (Switch)

Postby Herschie » October 8th, 2021, 10:23 pm

I've often told the story about how Metroid Prime helped me drown out my sorrows after the 2003 NLCS. This year the Cubs absolutely stunk so I don't have such problems. Not that I wouldn't be up for another Metroid.

This one actually seems to take place after Fusion, believe it or not. Which is good because that was a fine game.

I've only had the chance to play this for about 45 minutes but so far it's shaping up to be an absolute epic game! I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

BanjoPickles

Re: Metroid Dread (Switch)

Postby BanjoPickles » October 8th, 2021, 11:06 pm

I’m a little over an hour in, and I already have the same feelings for it that I did when I first played Super Metroid, back in the day. So far, they’ve gotten everything right, while also keeping it fresh. Dodging the EMMI’s is harder than I thought it’d be.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 9th, 2021, 12:22 am

I posted a bit about this on a different page, but I'll transfer my impressions over to this post, as it seems to be a more appropriate place for them.

i wasn't a big fan of Fusion, but I know that game has plenty of players that like it. I had issues with the cartoony style of the cutscenes and character / boss designs, and I despised how the game strictly led you by the nose from one place to another. So far, this game doesn't do that, despite having the same "Adam" character and the same sort of network stations where you communicate with it. For the most part, the network stations seem to act as a hint system. Nothing forces you to go one way or another. Nice.

I also like how the game just "starts." No logos, no EULA to view, just a title screen beckoning you to press Start. Killer. I like how cutscenes are skippable and tutorial info is short. The map system is very elaborate and detailed. The animations are absolutely fantastic, especially for Samus, who may be the single best-animated character I have ever directly controlled in a video game. Controls can be a little complicated at first, but soon become second nature. As a video game, it's an absolute joy to play...

...except that it made me motion sick! I'm guessing it's the way that the camera bobs around to follow the action, but after an hour or so of gameplay, I felt absolutely dizzy. I had to go lie down. Once I got up, I didn't feel much better. I'm thinking it'll be a few days before I give this one another go.

I wouldn't call this one "epic," but it's good. Very good, and very well-made. For a Metroid title, it's really about all you could ask for. Those that aren't fans of Metroidvania titles probably won't be won-over by this one, but for those that are fans, it's one of the better recent games in the genre. In my opinion, at least.

No crafting BS, no level-up system - just exploration and gameplay that tests the skill of the player. I wish more games in the genre were like this, instead of the XP grindfests that many of them have become. The straightforward gameplay and exploration has always drawn me to the Metroid titles, and I'm glad to see that spirit is alive and well with this one. Even if playing it makes me feel like I have to puke.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 12th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Awesome. I was pretty pumped for Dread when it was announced, but my excitement waned because I didn’t really care for Samus Returns, but I admit that a lot of those issues had to do with the platform it was on—3DS.

oddly, I haven’t been in a rush to get Dread, but I think it’s because I do t have time for a metroidvania right now. Maybe next year

But….my favorite streamer has been playing and starting to speedrun it, and the movement looks so smooth. Been very entertaining.

The motion sickness thing concerns me, because I also have that issue sometimes with games, but never with a 2D game before. It sucks, because it’s just trail and error. Some Games I think will bother me, don’t at all, and others put me in the bed for hours.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 12th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Finished the game this past weekend and... oh boy, are my feelings mixed.

I enjoyed the nostalgia that is prevalent in the game, from the Chozo to Kraid, and for the fact that hand-holding is not nearly as noticeable as in Fusion (I enjoyed Fusion, but it did feel more restrictive than even Metroid II to me). The controls were an improvement over those in Metroid Samus Returns, though I still don't care for the Counter element of the game.

And I have to say, without spoiling anything, I HATE the continued use of Counter as a main source to kill bosses; Samus Returns had the final boss fight that REQUIRED a split-second Counter action to enable the boss to be killed, and this element returns in this game in SEVERAL fights, which is VERY annoying, as I have zero sense of rhythm and trying to get a specific timing down is not easy for me, nevermind seeing the tell for the attacks you need to counter are not always easy to read... see the second form of the ending fights...).

I also do not care for the stealth sections with the Robots (I forget the name off-hand); I have never liked stealth sections, and having one forced into my Metroid game AGAIN (in Fusion they at least were quick and easy to escape most of the time), worse with a stealth section with a LOT of Random (where the robots spawn when you pass thru their gates is random, and having one spawn right on the other side of both doors you need to go thru is VERY frustrating). Also, the game is not kidding when it says once caught your chances of escaping (by the Counter system) is next to nil; I can count on one hand the amount of times I escaped one of the bots, though I had scores of Game Overs from them.

Also the environments shared many elements (from heated rooms to icy rooms, generic tech areas to water areas, etc.), and just blended together; I found myself checking the maps quite often.

Also, there are MANY items I have not collected just because I haven't figured out how I am supposed to do a weird Shinespark to bust a few blocks, AFTER getting a shinespark ready AND manuvering around obstructions (one of the worst being shooting blocks and bombable blocks). Oh and Enemies hit like a TRUCK.

I will say that the Screw Attack is VERY nice once acquired, and there were nice touches sprinkled thru as I re-explored areas, including an odd Bomb tube in the Kraid fight room, which hinted to me that I could get the Bombs before Kraid and the designers built it in to use in the fight (not a spoiler, I think?)

Overall, a good game, though I'd sooner replay either Axiom Verge, Super Metroid or the Castlevania Advance Collection before returning to Dread any time soon.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 12th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Voor wrote:The motion sickness thing concerns me, because I also have that issue sometimes with games... It sucks, because it’s just trail and error.

I hear ya, Voor. My second session was met with some mild dizziness afterward, but nothing nearly as bad as the first go-round. After that, I decided to limit each session to 30 - 45 minutes, and to play at night close to bedtime. That way, if I got dizzy and needed to lay down, no problem, since I was close to going to bed, anyway! In doing that, I've had no issues.

Long story short, this is a game I doubt that I'll ever marathon or speedrun. But I've enjoyed playing through it bit by bit. I'm about four hours in right now, and I can't wait to see it all the way through. Maybe I'll get there by the end of the week...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 12th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Voor wrote:The motion sickness thing concerns me, because I also have that issue sometimes with games... It sucks, because it’s just trail and error.

I hear ya, Voor. My second session was met with some mild dizziness afterward, but nothing nearly as bad as the first go-round. After that, I decided to limit each session to 30 - 45 minutes, and to play at night close to bedtime. That way, if I got dizzy and needed to lay down, no problem, since I was close to going to bed, anyway! In doing that, I've had no issues.

Long story short, this is a game I doubt that I'll ever marathon or speedrun. But I've enjoyed playing through it bit by bit. I'm about four hours in right now, and I can't wait to see it all the way through. Maybe I'll get there by the end of the week...

Thanks for detailing the motion sickness reactions (seriously). I was considering getting Dread for my Brother n Laws birthday, but given that my sister A) hates Metroid and B) has a VERY high sensitivity to motion sickness, I may get him something else...

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 13th, 2021, 9:39 am

Honestly, I consider the cloak to be almost useless! EMMI constantly bumps into me anyway, the bar drains too quickly, and even after it leaves, it picks up on my presence right away!

Honestly, I almost consider the EMMI portions to be the one weak link of the game. The first few encounters were tense, but now they are just tedious, frustrating, and (dare I say it?) cheap.

Other than that, I love the game!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 13th, 2021, 12:12 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:Honestly, I consider the cloak to be almost useless! EMMI constantly bumps into me anyway, the bar drains too quickly, and even after it leaves, it picks up on my presence right away!

Honestly, I almost consider the EMMI portions to be the one weak link of the game. The first few encounters were tense, but now they are just tedious, frustrating, and (dare I say it?) cheap.

Other than that, I love the game!

Hit the nail right on the head. I don't enjoy these parts at all.
MSR1701 wrote:Thanks for detailing the motion sickness reactions (seriously). I was considering getting Dread for my Brother n Laws birthday, but given that my sister A) hates Metroid and B) has a VERY high sensitivity to motion sickness, I may get him something else...

I'm surprised this game would cause motion sickness being mostly 2D. With Metroid Prime I could see but I never would have thought Dread would do this.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Herschie wrote:I'm surprised this game would cause motion sickness being mostly 2D.

Unfortunately, it's a thing, Hersch. Even classic 2D shoot-'em-ups like R-Type and Gradius can cause this, as can some racing games.

From my understanding, it has to do with the different planes of movement, where your eyes are fixated on one moving object (in the case of Gradius, your space ship) while the rest of the screen scrolls forward at a different pace. Essentially, you're watching one moving object while the screen, itself, is a moving object, as well.

It's an uncommon occurrence, but as anyone who suffers from this can tell you, it's a total crap shoot what - or when - will trigger this feeling. As Voor said, it's largely trial and error what games will do it.

Yet another reason why I just don't play games nearly as much as I used to :|

Return to “Now Playing”