Visage (XB1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Visage (XB1)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 10th, 2021, 11:44 pm

I've said it a dozen times before, but I'll say it again just to recap: I enjoy horror games, but I'm rarely scared by them.

Today I tried Visage since it got added to Xbox Gamepass, and HOLY CRAP...my heart is pounding. I can't say for sure what makes this game so effective where others have failed, but I'm not even an hour in and I'm genuinely on edge! The funny thing is, I haven't seen a single enemy yet.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the slow buildup. How long is the game going to go before hitting you with the real scares? Every time you hear the soundtrack make a word noise, or the lights get turned off when you look away from the switch, you wonder "Is this it? Is it starting now?" The fact that the scares are apparently randomized somehow helps too.

It's clearly trying to be what Silent Hills was promising, and the graphics are amazingly lifelike. It's an indie game originally made for PC, so it has the usual wonky keyboard-to-controller transition controls, but nothing too bad.

Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a real scare this Halloween!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Visage (XB1)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 11th, 2021, 9:47 am

Just looking at this picture scares the heck out of me. Too bad this isn't on disc.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 11th, 2021, 7:23 pm

That screenshot is creepy as hell.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 20th, 2021, 1:27 pm

So, this is my idea of a dating sim.

No, really. An ex and I used to write stories like this. And between the mood lighting and all the teasing? It's just fun.

I watched the trailer, and spent the entire time cheering the ghost on. And also noting everything the house stole from Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and H.R. Geiger - among others - she's clearly not shy about her influences.

And that's a good thing, since Konami's all but forgotten them.

So, if I ever play Visage, I'm just going to see how fast I can game over, and judging from what I've seen so far, I'll probably be disappointed when the game reveals it was counting on your imagination to do all the heavy lifting.

With that said, I can understand your experience with it....maybe?

My current girlfriend? She won't ever experience this game, the way I can. Or the way you can. Not with her heart condition. Even a jump scare from her kids is a problem.* And this game? It hasn't forgotten how to make those jump scares hit harder than they should.

I love that they're built up, when you're prepared for the worst...and then they're an anti-climax. And another anti-climax. Which makes you feel safe. And eventually makes you lower your guard. And then the real magic can begin.

It's good to see that kind of craft and care again. Even if this game clearly wasn't meant for the two of us, and our two very opposite reactions to such material... and it shouldn't ever attempt to be.

It's comforting, knowing that there's still an audience for what it offers.

So thank you for this review. It was a perfect Halloween treat.

*Her health scares me more than anything any game could offer...but obsessing over it just means less time spent actually living, you know?

Return to “Now Playing”