Xeno Crisis (Dreamcast)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Xeno Crisis (Dreamcast)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 20th, 2021, 10:41 am

The game looks amazing on the Dreamcast but I do have an issue with the control scheme. The diamond-configured "face" buttons on the right are used to shoot around you. Great system, except you need to push two to fire diagonally. That's kind of tricky when it comes to firing up-left, and my hands are fairly large. I think a dual-stick controller would be optimal.

Hey wait I just remembered I have that Virtual On controller! Let me get back to you...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 20th, 2021, 11:10 am

Well I can verify the Virtual On stick works like a charm. Run with the left stick and aim with the right stick - like Robotron.

The only downside to it is that the controller is such a heavy, unweildy beast you practically need to be sitting at a table to hold it comfortably.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 20th, 2021, 11:31 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The game looks amazing on the Dreamcast but I do have an issue with the control scheme. The diamond-configured "face" buttons on the right are used to shoot around you. Great system, except you need to push two to fire diagonally. That's kind of tricky when it comes to firing up-left, and my hands are fairly large. I think a dual-stick controller would be optimal.

Hey wait I just remembered I have that Virtual On controller! Let me get back to you...

The Evercade has a similar control set-up, minus the option of a Virtual On controller... :(

Would be great if Saturn games could somehow be run on Evercade, and with the Evercade VS supporting USB controllers... would love to play Virtual On again, been a LONG time

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 20th, 2021, 2:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hey wait I just remembered I have that Virtual On controller! Let me get back to you...

I. Am. So. Jealous. :lol:

I never had the opportunity to buy one of those back when they were current. None of the shops near me carried it, though they usually had a trove of import games and accessories. Even back then, I think the controller was just too costly for most shops to bring over from Japan.

There was a point in time where one could be had relatively affordably from eBay or Amazon.jp, but they're pretty cost-prohibitive these days. A shame. I love my Saturn twin-stick, and I love Virtual-On on the Saturn, but I just don't know if I can justify taking the dive on the DC version at this point in time. Maybe someday. It's certainly on the wishlist!

(Hey, wife, my 40th birthday is coming up in a few months...)

Anyhoo, I completely blanked on those cheat codes last week. Let's fix that:

On the main menu, highlight "Options" and press (Left + Y + B + Start) to access the standard cheat menu. This gives you access to a stage select, infinite ammo, infinite health, etc. Activating all of the cheats kind of takes the fun out of the game, but it can be handy for exploring later stages, or for helping out a second player who doesn't want all the challenge of the standard game.

To access the special Kickstarter-backer cheat menu, highlight "Options" and press (Right + Y + B + Start). This also lets you assign specific "seeds" from the randomly-generated levels, in case you wanted a specific level layout when you play the game. Not really my bag, but it's cool, nevertheless.

These cheats only work on the Dreamcast version. For some reason, they're not on GameFAQs, my go-to for this sort of thing. I had to figure them our for myself by looking at the codes for other systems, and messing around with the button inputs. Really brought back some memories of the old days, when you used to be able to submit the cheat codes you'd discovered to magazines, hoping to win contests or prizes.

(I love being old...)

Return to “Now Playing”