Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 15530
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2021, 10:22 am

I have a hard time keeping up with all the quality homebrews coming out of the AtariAge store lately, but I recently ponied up for Zookeeper, and was not disappointed.

First of all, the glossy manual and colorful box are top quality. You couldn't find packaging this good even back in 1982. Bravo.

I had a bunch of guys over the other night and we played a variety of games including Xeno-Crisis, NHL 94, and SCAT (NES). But the unexpected hit was Zookeeper. The guys really loved figuring it out and playing for high score.

Full review forthcoming!

snakeboy
Posts: 293
Joined: April 30th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby snakeboy » November 11th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I have absolutely nothing to say about Zookeeper, but I would like to thank you for skipping the details about playing SCAT with a bunch of guys.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 982
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby MSR1701 » November 15th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Safe guess the 2600 Zookeeper is different than the Nintendo DS game?

Image
Image

User avatar
ActRaiser
Posts: 1231
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby ActRaiser » November 16th, 2021, 8:46 am

I would hazzard it's based on the arcade game and uses the paddle. If so it's a fun game. At least the arcade game is.

johnnywc23
Posts: 8
Joined: May 1st, 2018, 9:14 pm

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby johnnywc23 » November 16th, 2021, 10:33 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have a hard time keeping up with all the quality homebrews coming out of the AtariAge store lately, but I recently ponied up for Zookeeper, and was not disappointed.

First of all, the glossy manual and colorful box are top quality. You couldn't find packaging this good even back in 1982. Bravo.

I had a bunch of guys over the other night and we played a variety of games including Xeno-Crisis, NHL 94, and SCAT (NES). But the unexpected hit was Zookeeper. The guys really loved figuring it out and playing for high score.

Full review forthcoming!


Glad you and your buddies enjoyed playing ZK, looking forward to the full review!

Gleebergloben123
Posts: 346
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 16th, 2021, 11:43 am

I was playing the arcade Zookeeper in September at Pinball PA in Hopewell, PA (gonna say it again, great arcade). Really good game, tight controls, and it plays very fast for a 1982 game. So fast that I’m surprised this home version sounds as good as it does. Looking forward to the review.

Gleebergloben123
Posts: 346
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 16th, 2021, 11:47 am

Sorry for the double post, I just watched some of the vid play for Zoo Keeper at Atari Age and my goodness it looks and seems to play just like the arcade version. And it’s only 32K??? Wow.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 982
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby MSR1701 » November 16th, 2021, 11:49 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Sorry for the double post, I just watched some of the vid play for Zoo Keeper at Atari Age and my goodness it looks and seems to play just like the arcade version. And it’s only 32K??? Wow.

The 2600 version is 32K? Bit large for 2600 for the time the 2600 was viable, though still impressive to get this running on ye old hardware.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 851
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 16th, 2021, 1:17 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:Sorry for the double post, I just watched some of the vid play for Zoo Keeper at Atari Age and my goodness it looks and seems to play just like the arcade version. And it’s only 32K??? Wow.

The 2600 version is 32K? Bit large for 2600 for the time the 2600 was viable, though still impressive to get this running on ye old hardware.


Fatal Run was 32k, during the 2600's revival as a budget alternative.

SpiceWare
Posts: 93
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Re: Zookeeper (Atari 2600)

Postby SpiceWare » November 17th, 2021, 9:53 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:And it’s only 32K??? Wow.


It's not just homebrew software, it's also homebrew hardware - I talk about it in my blog entry extra hardware!,which goes over the history of adding extra hardware inside Atari cartridges.

The extra hardware originally emulated a DPC+ coprocessor, which was an updated version of the DPC coprocessor that was used in Pitfall 2. Since then we've made significant improvements to it and it's know known as CDFJ.

My latest that uses this hardware is Draconian, a port of Namco's '81 arcade game Bosconian. By using CDFJ I was able to implement the parallax starfield, numerous onscreen objects with minimal flicker, and even the in-game speech without having to pause the game like Quadrun does. It also contains all of the Namco levels, the Midway levels that were seen in the states, 2 other sets of custom levels, and an option for randomly generated levels.

Video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqS0SMSTFHg


Return to “Now Playing”