Final Fight CD (Sega CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Final Fight CD (Sega CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 23rd, 2021, 9:34 pm

My buddy Chris and I were playing some fighting games after work, and once again we came to the conclusion you can't beat the classics. Iron Commando (SNES) looked good but grew tiresome. The Takeover (Switch) looked a lot better than it played. But there was one game was both loved playing, which is Final Fight CD.

You may recall the original Final Fight was released for the SNES but was one-player only. People were pretty upset about that because it was designed for 2P coop. I guess that would make Final Fight CD the ultimate home version. Great audio with goofy dialog and 80's action-style music. Love it!

matmico399

Re: Final Fight CD (Sega CD)

Postby matmico399 » November 24th, 2021, 7:24 pm

I agree it was the best. My son and I used to hammer each other on that game and had such a blast. I miss playing it my Sega CD died about 5 years ago after many years of use. I sold most of my Sega CD games but I hung on the ones that were the best, and plan on acquiring another CD in the future. Final Fight and Snatcher were two of a couple more that I hung on to. Thank goodness.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 26th, 2021, 6:01 am

I grew up with Final Fight on the Atari ST of all things. Not that I knew any different, but it really may be one of the worst ports of the game.

That said - it still featured all 3 playable characters and supported co-op! So take that SNES! :lol: I honestly still don’t understand how they screwed up that port so bad.

I only found out the SEGA CD version existed a couple years ago and I love firing it up every now and then. It’s still super weird playing it with such amazing quality music and effects, when all I’d previously known was that weird midway point between 8 and 16bit sound that the ST managed.

I think Streets of Rage surpassed it, but you can see just how many elements of that series were inspired if not almost ripped off from Final Fight.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

Atari ST guy here! I had Double Dragon for my Atari 1040ST. Good port but only one player.

I got rid of my ST in the 90's but wish I still had it. I remember Starglider and Time Bandits as being mind-blowing. Would love to give Final Fight a try.

Yeah Chris even mentioned the other day Streets of Rage was a Final Fight rip-off!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 26th, 2021, 12:02 pm

To be fair, for an ST port it’s not that bad. It’s just jittery when it scrolls, frame rate isn’t as smooth as other ports I’ve seen (which could be PAL localisation, I suppose). Playing the CD version has made me realise there’s chunks of levels missing here and there. The music for some people isn’t great, but it is nostalgic as all hell for me. I don’t believe there’s many sound effects either.

It’s not like Street Fighter on Commodore 64 bad (if I’m thinking of the right port). Just not the best way to play.

I’m surprised I never hear anyone talking about how much Streets of Rage took from Final Fight! Don’t get me wrong, I love Streets of Rage, but I’m surprised it never gets accused of being a clone. So many aspects considered tropes of the genre were literally lifted from Final Fight.

Return to “Now Playing”