Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Crummylion

Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

Postby Crummylion » November 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm

So here's a game I'm sure the critic will get a kick out of, especially since it's a triple a game with no online bs. It, being Guardians, has oodles of 70s and 80s references and 80s music for diegetic effect and a huddle power up. Game stars the titular crew with Starlord as the playable character and so far, the game is alright. The game so far is heavily story based and insanely linear, with very little exploration and combat sprinkled in. While it's nice to explore, it feels limiting. Combat is good though, kinda like Kingdom Hearts where you fight enemies and along with your team at your disposal. Each have their specialties and using the huddle power up can either give everyone a boost or just you depending on how well your pep talk goes. The focus is the story, so you're given a dialog tree which has impact on your playthrough. Not gonna spoil anything, but some things are inaccessible if you pick one choice over the other. The writing is good though, imo. I enjoyed hearing the ragtag chew each other out, especially me whenever I stop to explore for collectibles. So overall, it's sure as hell is better than the avengers game. I'll stick with it since the gameplay is good and the writing is solid, but whether it will be worth replaying is yet to be decided.
(Psst, this game is also on ps4 and xbox. I happen to own the ps4 version and was able to get the ps5 upgrade. It's probably the better version too because, aside from better graphics and framerate, the ps5 version surprisingly takes much less space than the ps4 version.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 25th, 2021, 3:24 pm

No online requirements? You got my attention!

The question is, should I go for the PS4 version or hold out for the PS5?

Crummylion

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

Postby Crummylion » November 25th, 2021, 9:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:No online requirements? You got my attention!

The question is, should I go for the PS4 version or hold out for the PS5?

The ps5 is backwards compatible. So you should be able to play the ps4 version on both systems, but the ps5 version mostly has quality of life advantages. You know, better framerate, raytracing maybe, and adaptive triggers on the controller, on top of the ps5's engine compressing the game's file size. If you want to get a ps5 game to review, may as well get the ps5 version lol.

Return to “Now Playing”