Ace Combat Advance (GBA)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Crummylion

Ace Combat Advance (GBA)

Postby Crummylion » December 19th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Common trend with handhelds is finding ways to fit the spirit of a console counterpart in handheld form. When a game on lesser hardware finds ways to be similar to its console counterpart (think Doom and Resident Evil,) it's a technical marvel. I've never played Ace Combat, but found it entriguging. Having played Tridion 3d and saw the ill-fated Dune game, I was given the impression the gba version of Ace Combat would be a flight similar or rail shooter. Turns out it's a top down shooter. OK, that's fine, plenty of games had genre changes all the time. Problem is controls are too cumbersome to finish a single stage. Some of the more important buttons are awkwardly placed and do little to help even if they were remapped. You can strafe, turn slowly, speed up, or change one degree of altitude. That's it, you're literally a sitting duck in that game as there's little to do against enemy attacks. Oh, you can attack, missles and bullets, but they do almost nothing, ESPECIALLY THE MISSLES. Each missle claims to be unique, but none of them managed to help. I wanted to like this, but the game is just frustrating. And I know there's more to be had because the console counterpart looks great.
So in short, I'm dumb and this game sucks.

Return to “Now Playing”