Earthbound (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
strat

Re: Earthbound (SNES)

Postby strat » December 25th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Voor wrote:So, when you bought the game NEW back in the day, it came with a players guide? Had that ever been done before? They must have anticipated that folks would struggle with it.

It was pretty common for RPGs to get bundled with guidebooks, though Earthbound might be the only one that's part of an official, on-going series (Nintendo Power). Phantasy Star II came with one. The first Final Fantasy had a thick, SNES-style manual that doubled as a beginning strategy guide. Even Zelda I had a tip sheet with some hand-holding.

The Earthbound player's guide also took the place of a proper manual.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 26th, 2021, 12:44 pm

FFIV also had a beginners guide included that walked you through the first 6 hours or so of the game. It was actually more common back then. Oh how I miss proper instruction manuals with decent art and actual information on the game.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 27th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:I wouldn't call it "greatest of all time" at all, but a good game? Absolutely. Funny dialogue, great setting, endearing characters. Are the parents divorced? Dad is never around, and he gives you money! lol. It really is a good game, though I would personally rank both Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger over it in the SNES RPG rankings. Though I'll admit to liking it more than Final Fantasy III(6) in my adulthood.

And here I am one of the only people on Earth that thinks Mario RPG is reprehensible.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2021, 4:48 pm

This game is so charming. Every little town is fun to explore, and the music is very pleasant. The game is a little silly, and will reference itself and break the fourth wall on occasion.

The interface is remarkably polished and I think the difficulty is about right. When you did, you retain your experience points, so next time you try you will be stronger.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 27th, 2021, 5:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The interface is remarkably polished and I think the difficulty is about right. When you did, you retain your experience points, so next time you try you will be stronger.

I think this may have affected my attempted playthrough a couple years ago. I forget how far I progressed, but I reached a point where I started finding some of the battles a bit difficult, and the prospect of grinding turned me off a little. I was playing on the SNES Classic, using save points, so every time I died I didn't reap the benefits of retaining the XP. Weird how emulated save points can sometimes actually make the game more difficult long term over using original hardware. Same thing happened with Shining Force on the Mega Drive Mini, but I did manage to scrape through that one to the end - probably because it was a tactical RPG.

Both times I didn't find out about retaining XP until after I stopped playing. :roll:

Aside from that I'll definitely revisit some day. I don't know if I'd call it one of the greatest SNES games, but I can see why many do. Tons of charm, so unique, and it really feels like there's a compelling story to uncover.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2021, 6:08 pm

I'm glad you brought this up Eagle. I was planning to use the save points, but once I started playing I settled into just using the game's save system. I'm glad I did because otherwise I would have run up against the same difficulties you had.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 27th, 2021, 8:26 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm glad you brought this up Eagle. I was planning to use the save points, but once I started playing I settled into just using the game's save system. I'm glad I did because otherwise I would have run up against the same difficulties you had.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game Critic! For years this game has charmed me, in a lot of ways. I use both regular in-game save points (the phone), and suspend points on my SNES Classic, and thank goodness for that, as there are some difficult moments, including boss fights.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 27th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Robotrek wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:I wouldn't call it "greatest of all time" at all, but a good game? Absolutely. Funny dialogue, great setting, endearing characters. Are the parents divorced? Dad is never around, and he gives you money! lol. It really is a good game, though I would personally rank both Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger over it in the SNES RPG rankings. Though I'll admit to liking it more than Final Fantasy III(6) in my adulthood.

And here I am one of the only people on Earth that thinks Mario RPG is reprehensible.

Yeah, you probably are one of the only people that think that. I think it has aged wonderfully and it is one of my favorite old RPGs. I make it a point to play through it and Chrono Trigger once every few years.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 8th, 2022, 9:38 am

So I have about 5 hours into this, playing on my SNES mini, I must say I am pretty underwhelmed. I feel like it is going to be a grind heavy RPG. I am going to stick with it, hopefully the pace picks up a bit.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2022, 10:22 am

I am at the Saturn village right now, and I can attest this game just gets weirder and weirder as you progress. It's kind of like Pulp Fiction in that regard.

Also, I have no idea how many hours I have put into this game, and I really don't care. I can tell you I'm going to continue to the end because I'm enjoying it so much. This is a game you could play for a few minutes a day if you wanted.

Return to “Now Playing”