Berzerk (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Berzerk (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2022, 10:51 am

I always play this game during snow days. Just like back when I was a kid in school!

Got my first high score of the year this morning: 9270. I played Berzerk on variation 9, which is the hardest.
Top that!

I have to admit I wouldn't have made it if not for several "through the neck" shots. Also, it's amazing how sometimes you'll be dead-to-rights, but another robot will accidentally shield you or Evil Otto will snuff them out. Some luck helps.

matmico399

Re: Berzerk (Atari 2600)

Postby matmico399 » January 6th, 2022, 7:21 pm

I have two Atari games that are my absolute favorites on the 2600. Warlords and Berzerk. I have played that game starting in about 1982. It is still to this day the most fun game on system and I still play it two to three times a week. It never gets old.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2022, 5:55 am

I think it's the beautiful simplicity of these games that makes them so enduring.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » January 7th, 2022, 11:09 am

My goal is to finally finish Frantic* this year. Generates mazes like the arcade (meaning if you exit right, up, left, then down you'll return to the room you started in), supports both Berzerk and Frenzy gameplay, robot explosions can take out other robots, uses the AtariVox for the speech, etc.

* the first line of that topic has a link to the latest build. Can play it in Stella, or on a real 2600 using a Harmony cart.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 7th, 2022, 11:46 am

Here's another one that I need to try at some point... I was always fascinated by Berzerk when reading about it in an old strategy guide at my school library...

On a side note, always liked seeing the VGC's "Our High Score" alongside reviews. Small detail, but it always added an extra element of perspective when reading the reviews.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 7th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Man, when I was a little kid, Berzerk's electrocution deaths scared the hell out of me. Possibly because our house had bad wiring.

When you're dealing with early 8-bit stick figure survival horror, anything that makes the story relatable goes a long ways. Especially since the game industry hadn't invented the survival part yet.

It was love at first sight.

And even today, I kind of miss those early limitations, sometimes? I mean, look at the gun your stick figure is holding. It doesn't exist outside of the box art. Instead, you're really just shooting robots with the lasers that come out of your neon green fists.

And you can shoot in all the directions Megaman can't.

And they're always a one hit kill. And you never run out of ammunition.

How could you possibly improve on that weapon?

Plus, it's just fun to exploit the enemy AI and trick them into killing themselves for you. Especially when you're running away from a friendly smile, and every moment counts.

Evil Otto really deserves more credit for leading the way for games like Resident Evil: Nemesis and Metroid: Dread.

Return to “Now Playing”