Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Matchstick

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Matchstick » May 26th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Breaker wrote:I'm thinking he meant the Houston Oilers from the NFL...

...you know, you're probably right. My bad!!

Shows how little I think about the NFL, anymore. If you said "Jets," I'd think of Winnipeg before New York.

Speaking of which...

lynchie137 wrote:Hopefully Les Nordiques will return in the near future.

I agree! And I was pumped to see the Jets return around 15 years ago, even if it meant Atlanta had to lose their team. Again. Remember - that's where the Flames used to be, ages ago! I almost feel like no league does more team shuffling and rebranding than the NHL. But I guess they're all guilty of it from time to time.

As a resident of the Pacific Northwest, I just can't get behind a team being called "The Kraken." Whatever!! They had a real opportunity to take advantage of some local flavor with the team name, but... nope. They went with Kraken. As it stands, the closest NHL team I give a rip about at all is the Flames. Even though the Canucks and Sharks are closer to where I live, I just can't get behind them, either.

I do hear rumors every couple of years about the Sonics coming back to Seattle. I hope I see the day, but I also hope that doesn't mean another NBA city has to lose its franchise for that to happen. We'll see.

I haven't really watched the NBA much since the Sonics moved to OKC, and unlike many others out here, I refuse to jump ship and watch the Blazers. No way. If that means I don't have a team to watch, so be it!

Back on sports games, I've always had a soft spot for the original Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey on the N64. The game's not so great, but it's a blast with four players, and easy enough to learn that anyone can pick it up and play. And it's also one of the most-recent games (being based on '96 rosters) to feature the Whalers and the original Winnipeg Jets, though I think it *just* missed out on the Nordiques, who I believe were re-branded as the Avalanche by that time. I should play it again and see...

I know NHL '96 on the Genesis still has the Nordiques, though. Is it the most-recent NHL game to feature them in their original form, aside from "classic" teams in later releases?

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 26th, 2022, 4:22 pm

If Quebec is looking for a new team, I know of a certain hockey team stuck in the Arizona desert.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 26th, 2022, 4:39 pm

DialSforSam wrote:If Quebec is looking for a new team, I know of a certain hockey team stuck in the Arizona desert.

That moved there from Winnipeg, no less :lol:

Why the NHL thinks it's ever a good idea to move a team away from Canada is beyond me...

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 27th, 2022, 6:20 pm

[quote="Matchstick" I just can't get behind a team being called "The Kraken." Whatever!!][/quote]

Yeah.. I'm not a fan of their team name as well. I was hoping they would have chosen a name like The Breakers after the junior hockey team of the same name. Or The Totems after the minor league team of the same name. It would have been a nice nod to the city's long hockey history. Which goes way back to the early 20th century. The team they had back then, named the Metropolitans, would become the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. But I guess they wanted something a bit more "edgy" or modern sounding. Again, not a fan of the name. But I have to admit their jersey looks pretty darn good...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 27th, 2022, 7:46 pm

lynchie137 wrote:But I have to admit their jersey looks pretty darn good...

We call that a sweater in this league, my friend :lol:

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 28th, 2022, 4:34 pm

The Steelers have moved to 10-0. The last two wins were over previously undefeated teams. The offensive line keeps opening big holes for Barry Foster, and the defense is doing its job well. O'Donnell has been hurt twice more, though both were for the remainder of the current game only.

If any defense can either shut down my run game or force some fumbles, I don't know that I have the passing game to survive. I am going to have to mix in a little more to test the receiving corps and keep teams guessing.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 28th, 2022, 7:32 pm

After dropping the first game of the road trip against the Yankees, I won the next three against them, as well as sweeping the Angels and winning 2 out of 3 against the A's. Finished the month of May with a 23-6 record and currently sitting at the top of the AL East at 38-14.

Now comes a quick 6 game homestand against Seattle and Oakland, before I go back out on the road against Boston, Milwaukee, and Cleveland.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 28th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Breaker wrote:O'Donnell has been hurt twice more...

Gotta keep The Big Neil upright so he can throw those two backbreaking INTs in the Super Bowl :P

Breaker wrote:I don't know that I have the passing game to survive.

Is Kordell Stewart on that roster? Could you move him to QB if they have him slotted in at WR by default?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 29th, 2022, 12:24 am

Matchstick wrote:
Breaker wrote:O'Donnell has been hurt twice more...

Gotta keep The Big Neil upright so he can throw those two backbreaking INTs in the Super Bowl :P

Breaker wrote:I don't know that I have the passing game to survive.

Is Kordell Stewart on that roster? Could you move him to QB if they have him slotted in at WR by default?

It's the year before he was drafted. Believe me, the thought had crossed my mind and I had to look!

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 29th, 2022, 7:58 pm

DialSforSam wrote:If Quebec is looking for a new team, I know of a certain hockey team stuck in the Arizona desert.

It utterly boggles this sports fan's mind on how that team, despite never drawing a dime in it's 20 plus years in the desert, hasn't either been relocated to another city or just folded outright. Yes, revenue sharing has a lot to do with them still being able to operate. But to me, the NHL having a lame duck team that simply dosen't make money is just bad for business...

Return to “Now Playing”