Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
TheEagleXIII

Retro Sports Center

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 6th, 2022, 11:06 am

I always wanna talk retro sports titles, but they never really feel worthy of a post unless they're truly something special or unique. So how about a dedicated place to post your recent achievements, tense comebacks, and heartbreaking losses? You grinding through a season, made Gretzky's head bleed, make a crazy hole in one, playing something that doesn't get a lot of love? Or you just having fun basking in the nostalgia of long lost teams like the Oilers or the Whalers?

I'm going through the Mega Drive Maddens in order as I was more of a Sports Talk Football guy back in the day, although I did own a couple. Just won the Playoffs in Madden '92 with Detroit, blowing out the Bengals 38-0. The rest of the playoff games were much tougher, so it was kinda anti-climactic. Retro football is still tons of fun, though. And it's still odd how enjoyable the game can be with little else to offer than a playoff mode. With PS2 era sports and onwards, anything else but a multi-season career/franchise mode was a waste of time, so it is a testament to just how much playability was king. That or just us never knowing any better.

Also got a season going on NBA Live 95 on Mega Drive. Nostalgia hits hard with that one. I owned it as a kid but was never able to play through a season because it was a pre-owned game and the internal battery save never worked when I bought it – and I never knew how to fix it. The intro is the retro gaming equivalent of cursing the 'Skip Intro' button on Netflix to go away, cos it's just one of those games I have to hear the opening credits to. It's got the best menu music of any sports game. Again, it's amazing just how playable the game is and how realistic it feels given the limited technology. I'm playing through as the Orlando Magic for little other reason than having the trifecta of early 90s NBA awesomeness - Shaq, a player in glasses/goggles, and pinstripe jerseys... not that the game can do jerseys patterns.

Breaker

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Breaker » March 6th, 2022, 6:38 pm

I love the concept of this thread. With any luck, I'll be a frequent contributer. Looking forward to hearing about others exploits. Good luck with Orlando - NBA Live 95 is a personal favorite!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2022, 8:43 pm

I recently just "discovered" Wayne Gretzky Hockey for the Genesis and it's really a fun time - especially with four players.

These old games have a pick-up-and-play thing happening that's appealing. You can pop in a cart and start playing. Can you imagine trying to do that with NBA 2K22?

The new NHL games have realism but I feel like their fun factor hit a wall a few years back.

Currently working on reviewing the SNES version of Wayne Gretzky Hockey so stay tuned.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 10th, 2022, 10:06 pm

In the spirit of March madness, and in honor of Coach K retiring, I am playing a 32-team tournament on Coach K College Basketball on the Genesis. There are only 32 teams, so that's as big as I could go.

I didn't go completely blue in honor of Coach; instead, I chose the Maryland Terrapins led by Joe Smith. This game is basically NBA Live 95, but with college players. I have knocked off Purdue, Virginia, and most recently, Arkansas. I'm teed up to play UNC for the title. Having a blast with this one.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 11th, 2022, 12:47 am

I've been playing a lot of Baseball Stars for the NES lately. Fantastic game, by the way. And probably one of the best sports titles of the 8 and 16 bit era. I just can't get over how much bells and whistles they crammed into such a small cart. Utterly mind boggling when you think about it, really. But anyway, my favorite way to play this one is to create a team from scratch and build it up as I put that team through it's paces in regular season mode. My latest team I called the "Rockerz", and as you may guess, it's consisted of all the all time big rock stars past and present. For example, I have Ozzy Osbourne and David Lee Roth as my starting pitchers, Angus Young at short, and James Hetfield and Zakk Wylde as my 3rd and 4th hitters in the batting order just to name a few. My first season with this team was okay, as I went 9-6 and finished third. But the season I'm playing through now is gong a little better so far, as I'm at 3 wins and 1 loss in my first four games. Hopefully, I can guide my guys to the championship. But we're gonna have to play better against the top teams in the league to have a chance to do so. Wish me luck...

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 11th, 2022, 2:57 pm

lynchie137 wrote:I've been playing a lot of Baseball Stars for the NES lately... My latest team I called the "Rockerz"...

You might enjoy this. I rarely link outside this site, but...

https://www.espn.com/espn/playbook/stor ... -games-all

Ever read GamePro, way back when? One of their main sports writers was Johnny Ballgame, who later went to work for ESPN under his real name, Jon Robinson. He wrote for the website and magazine (though I think he has since moved on) and had a wide-range of articles covering sports and gaming.

My favorite was a piece he wrote for the magazine back in 2003 where he compared Mike Vick in Madden 2004 to Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl, in terms of how unstoppable they were in their respective games.

Anyway, the link is to a Top 25 list he did for the website years ago, where he ranked Baseball Stars at Number 7. The kicker? He mentioned the custom team he made as a kid, featuring hip-hop stars from the era. Ice T was his best hitter, and Dr. Dre eventually became one of the best players on his team.

Not sure what it is about Baseball Stars and custom teams based around musicians, but there you go :P

EDIT: If you want to read the list from the very start:

https://www.espn.com/espn/playbook/stor ... -games-all

The article was posted almost exactly ten years ago, so it's a bit outdated, but that just means there's more space for the classics! I can't argue with the top three at all. What a fun read - even if it makes me feel really old...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 11th, 2022, 8:23 pm

I took the championship with the Terrapins. I got out to a huge lead on the Tar Heels, holding a 20 point lead at halftime, and I scored the first 12 points of the second half. Then the "computer cheat mode" turned on... I missed 4 consecutive layups or dunks, while the Heels (specifically #32, who I think is Ricky Daniels) made a streak of 3-pointers. Something like 9 of 10.

They continued to play poor defense though, and after those early misses I began making shots again. Daniels ended up with 43 points with 11 3-pointers, but it never got closer than 16, and I won by 23.

Overall, highly recommend Coach K on the Genny.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 13th, 2022, 2:04 pm

I fear I'm going to drive people nuts on this thread with constant posts, but...

I won the Las Vegas Invitational by 2 strokes on PGA Tour Golf III on the Genny. Managed to ace the 8th hole in the final round, which really sparked me.

This game is an all-time, stone-cold classic in my book. A+ material for me.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » March 13th, 2022, 3:08 pm

It's not an old-school title, but it kinda has a Tecmo Football vibe to it: I'm talking about Retro Bowl for the Switch. And I've sunk over 30 hours into it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Breaker wrote:I took the championship with the Terrapins. I got out to a huge lead on the Tar Heels, holding a 20 point lead at halftime, and I scored the first 12 points of the second half. Then the "computer cheat mode" turned on... I missed 4 consecutive layups or dunks, while the Heels (specifically #32, who I think is Ricky Daniels) made a streak of 3-pointers. Something like 9 of 10.

They continued to play poor defense though, and after those early misses I began making shots again. Daniels ended up with 43 points with 11 3-pointers, but it never got closer than 16, and I won by 23.

Overall, highly recommend Coach K on the Genny.

You have your own #32 on that Terps team - the legendary Joe Smith! Ahh memories.

Return to “Now Playing”